4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech Done, should I turn car on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

Default Vortech Done, should I turn car on?

Sup all. My vortech build will be 100% complete this weekend Minus the dyno tune.. I want to make sure everything is correct and there is no leaks.. Would you think its a bad Idea to turn the car over untuned? Just to make sure there isn't and oil leak from feed/drain...? Also some of the piping was exposed to the elements and I wana run the blower and let it blow out anything that could have been cought in the system.. Ill open one couplers and let it just blow outside of the car.
What are your opinions.. I know the car will be confused since theres 42lb injectors and a 255lph pump..
Old 03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I'm almost positive that just starting it won't cause any harm. I've never installed a blower on my ride, but from a mechanical standpoint i can't see how it would be a problem.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

I feel the same way, but I am worried also. Obviously the car wont know what to do with injectors and pump.. and at idle there isnt any significant boost level. just wanted to hear if anyone else has done it.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

just by starting the car I do not think there will be any damage.... I once installed a SC on a Toyota Corolla we started the car several times with no notice of damage....
Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Record the first start
Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
2000BlkGtConvgobucks
1st Gear Member

Supercharger on a Toyota Corolla = Awesome! No joke, id prolly poop my pants if i saw that thing on the street. lol Your gonna be fine starting and driving it, you just can't go into any boost over something like 1 or 2 psi until you get it tuned.

Last edited by 2000BlkGtConvgobucks; 03-12-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by demighost
Sup all. My vortech build will be 100% complete this weekend Minus the dyno tune.. I want to make sure everything is correct and there is no leaks.. Would you think its a bad Idea to turn the car over untuned? Just to make sure there isn't and oil leak from feed/drain...? Also some of the piping was exposed to the elements and I wana run the blower and let it blow out anything that could have been cought in the system.. Ill open one couplers and let it just blow outside of the car.
What are your opinions.. I know the car will be confused since theres 42lb injectors and a 255lph pump..
It will barely run with 42# injectors, and it will emit quite a bit of black smoke. You will be washing the cylinder walls. You won't cause any immediate harm if you can even get it to start. It probably won't.

No tune adjustments are necessary for the fuel pump, however.

Ask me how I know I got curious and tried it.42 # injectors are -double- the fuel per ms of open time. So its just way too much.

If you want to check for oil leaks and you are on the stock tune, turn key on, press and hold throttle to wide open, press and hold clutch and turn key to start. This disables the fuel and spark as long as you keep cranking. If you stop cranking and try again without cycling the key to off and on again, it will have fuel and spark.

You can let it crank all day like that if you like, 10 seconds should be enough to get a little oil flowing.

Edit: Now that I'm not posting from my phone I can drop a little more tune-related information since that stuff seems to be ultra rare around here. I facepalm at the amount of people who pay exorbitant amounts of money for very poor tunes they do not even need.

With 42# injectors, the ECU is expecting to have 21# injectors (maybe 19# depending on what you had stock), so 42/21 = 2... meaning 2x the amount of fuel the ECU is expecting will be injected.

You may very well be able to get the car to start like that, but if it does, it will idle very poorly. When I tried it, I couldn't get the RPM up past 1100 or so. It's definitely not drivable that way, nor would I recommend running it for longer than 30 seconds that way. All the extra fuel in the cylinders will wash away the oil on the walls and you'll burn up your motor pretty quickly.

Second, with the supercharger attached, you can keep the hoses hooked up to the intake. If your bypass valve is connected ok, you will not have any problems. In fact, you can even hit a little boost on the stock tune, you will not cause any harm. The ECU has a very large range of adjustment and the stock MAF does a fantastic job, even in blow-thru.

The ECU has a scalar which is called something like "Air charge density at WOT." I can't open my tuning software right now because an update broke the whole damn thing, just like every time. Stock, it's 1.1 or so, which is just a multiplier. The MAF, as you should know, measures the mass of air coming into the engine, when at WOT, the ECU applies that scalar, so if you have 300 kg/hr of air coming into the motor, at wide open, multiply that by 1.1 to add a little extra fuel. That's all fine and dandy, except with boost, you have a higher density of air coming in. The MAF itself has NO METHOD to determine density of air. For most boosted applications, you want to increase this number.

For low amounts of boost though (1-3 psi), the ECU already has compensation for 10%. 1.5 psi is approximately 10% above atmospheric. The ECU can read the extra airflow, however. Ford left a lot of fudge room in the ECU and the stock tune is fairly rich. If you just drive the car normally and never close that bypass valve, you will always be running within factory specifications, regardless of what supercharger, turbo, or whatever is on there. The only time you will have any sort of concern is once you pass beyond atmospheric into boost.

I've got too many things I want to try to cover... so I'm just going to stop there, be lazy, and say this:

tl;dr: You won't be able to drive the car unless you put the stock injectors back in, if you planned on driving it to the dyno shop, you might want to do that, and swap them again once you get there. You can drive the car all day long with the stock injectors and supercharger as long as you don't go past about 3 psi of boost. Beyond that it will lean out VERY quickly and will stumble and sputter. That will probably happen at about 3000 RPM WOT anyway. You really won't be able to hurt it so you shouldn't worry.

Last edited by ShadowDrake; 03-12-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

you can start it, just dont get into boost...
I drove mine perfectly fine to my tuner with 42# injectors back when I had that setup...
Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97stanger
you can start it, just dont get into boost...
I drove mine perfectly fine to my tuner with 42# injectors back when I had that setup...
Well, I was assuming with a stock MAF too. If you had a "calibrated" MAF or a modified MAF, that throws another variable into the equation.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

got ya, now that i agree with

Quick Reply: Vortech Done, should I turn car on?