4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

HP Gains with Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Default HP Gains with Tuner

Hello Again, Im sorry if i keep asking stupid questions but just trying to learn whats a waste of $$ and what mods arent. Anyhow, I was told that a custom tune with a CAI would give me about a 30-35hp gain on my stock 03 GT. Is this true? Now from reading on here, it seems that i can save $$ on the CAI.

Now what would be best for a stock GT, an SCT tuner or a custom tune?
Im assuming, since i dont have any mods yet, I should just get the SCT Tuner and then send it back for a free BAMA custom tune after I have added some mods? I would guess a custom tune is a waste if i dont have any mods? Im planning on the CAI/K&N drop in filter, x pipe with catback magnaflow, 3.50gears (if thats possible) and a transgo shift kit.

Whats your advise and opinions.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:15 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supermario
Hello Again, Im sorry if i keep asking stupid questions but just trying to learn whats a waste of $$ and what mods arent. Anyhow, I was told that a custom tune with a CAI would give me about a 30-35hp gain on my stock 03 GT. Is this true? Now from reading on here, it seems that i can save $$ on the CAI.

Im assuming, since i dont have any mods yet, I should just get the SCT Tuner and then send it back for a free BAMA custom tune after I have added some mods? I would guess a custom tune is a waste if i dont have any mods? Im planning on the CAI/K&N drop in filter, x pipe with catback magnaflow, 3.50gears (if thats possible) and a transgo shift kit.

The canned tune on the tuner will give you pretty much as much as you're going to get from a tune. Save the custom tune for when you have some substantial stuff done.

If the x-pipe is going to be catless, you'll need to adjust for that in your tune. 3.55 gears do exist, and again, a tune adjustment will be required. You may be able to forego the shift kit with shift firmness adjustments in the tune. It will be nearly as good with modest power.

Advice: Wait on the custom tune, get the exhaust and gears done at the same time, then plop for the custom tune.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, the canned tune will be your best bet for right now. You won't gain 30 hp from the tune and CAI though. More like 15 hp in reality.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Goochstang
1st Gear Member

I have exhaust, intake and I recently tuned my 01 GT and holy **** what a difference. I chirp 3rd now with the tune, mines auto btw.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by supermario

Forget the CAI, your car came from the factory with a CAI and a pretty good one at that.

As to "30 to 35hp" gain from a tune, whoever told you that was full of bovine excrement. With a tune optimised for 93 octane you will find 7-10HP peak (+5%), and a 10-15HP in the mid-range--where it will be a 7% to 10% increase--and also where it's worth a lot more than anything added just before you shift.

3.55 gears are available, however as they are not much of a change from the stock 3.27s I would recommend 3.73 or 4.10 depending on your driving habits and overall plan...
Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 PM
bigbadstang
1st Gear Member

Default hey

dont mean to thread highjack but i have a 2002 with PI heads? anyway it has drop in kn, magnaflow cat back, full length subframe connectors welded in and welded axle tubes, steeda triax and frrp 4:10 gears. im also looking for alittle more with minimal fuss lol so maybe a tuner? x pipe? im gonna do a eibach pro oor sportline kit too it sits way to high. i wanna introduce her to mister whipple next winter but gotta go slow w mamma
Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bigbadstang
dont mean to thread highjack but i have a 2002 with PI heads? anyway it has drop in kn, magnaflow cat back, full length subframe connectors welded in and welded axle tubes, steeda triax and frrp 4:10 gears. im also looking for alittle more with minimal fuss lol so maybe a tuner? x pipe? im gonna do a eibach pro oor sportline kit too it sits way to high. i wanna introduce her to mister whipple next winter but gotta go slow w mamma
There is very little you can bolt-on that will add any significant power without a custom tune; opening up the exhaust is about it.

The stock tuning has very conservative ignition timing and runs pig-rich at WOT (as much as 11.0:1) so that it will never ping on 87 octane fuel under any conditions. A dead stock new-edge GT will benefit from even an 87 octane optimised tune.

I have tuned a number of stock GTs and never had anyone come back from the first drive without a grin on there face...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 PM
bigbadstang
1st Gear Member

Default tune

so a tuner and x pipe? headers? any brands or whats better?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
mbtech

Tuner SCT X3 headers and x pipe all depends how much you wanna spend and what kind of sound you want. People say the Prochamber pipe is the best. as for headers I would go with in my opinion BBK.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

The stock tuning has very conservative ignition timing and runs pig-rich at WOT (as much as 11.0:1) so that it will never ping on 87 octane fuel under any conditions. A dead stock new-edge GT will benefit from even an 87 octane optimised tune.
Hey Cliffy..Come back

Can you explain alittle more in detail about this ^. You got me really curious. I know by reading alot of your post you know these cars pretty well.
Is the stock tune that bad over a SCT CAN 87 tune?Lets say.

Thank You Cliffy ahead of time

Quick Reply: HP Gains with Tuner