Uh-oh, an oil leak has made itself known, any thoughts? - MustangForums.com



4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

     
Old 10-26-2015, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
 
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
tracyballard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 268
Default Uh-oh, an oil leak has made itself known, any thoughts?

I just figured out that my 2002 Mustang GT has a pretty bad leak, but one that only happens when the engine is fully warmed up as far as I can tell so far. It looks like it's coming from middle of the car, right under the transmission housing - could be the tranny or maybe just dripping down from the engine and running off the lowest point. It seems to be a pretty light oil, didn't look or taste like antifreeze or auto trans fluid, but this has a manual transmission and I'm not really familiar with what manual transmission oil would be like - is it a light or heavier oil?? any ideas??? thanks in advance!
tracyballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member
 
96meangreengt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: mississippi
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyballard View Post
I just figured out that my 2002 Mustang GT has a pretty bad leak, but one that only happens when the engine is fully warmed up as far as I can tell so far. It looks like it's coming from middle of the car, right under the transmission housing - could be the tranny or maybe just dripping down from the engine and running off the lowest point. It seems to be a pretty light oil, didn't look or taste like antifreeze or auto trans fluid, but this has a manual transmission and I'm not really familiar with what manual transmission oil would be like - is it a light or heavier oil?? any ideas??? thanks in advance!
It sounds like where its coming from it would be the rear main seal leaking. as far as the oil being a light color maybe the oil has been changed recently and is still a light color.

For future reference if you dont know what it is dont taste it lol.
96meangreengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
tracyballard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 268
Default

the engine oil itself is pretty light colored. so, you think it's the rear seal? that sounds pretty bad. I've added a quart or 2 once in the 6 weeks I've had it, and I haven't noticed a low level, it actually still seems a little higher than it should be, but this dipstick is kind of hard to read, it's hard to get a fresh level mark without oil trailing up the dipstick above the level mark.
tracyballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member
 
96meangreengt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: mississippi
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyballard View Post
the engine oil itself is pretty light colored. so, you think it's the rear seal? that sounds pretty bad. I've added a quart or 2 once in the 6 weeks I've had it, and I haven't noticed a low level, it actually still seems a little higher than it should be, but this dipstick is kind of hard to read, it's hard to get a fresh level mark without oil trailing up the dipstick above the level mark.
since you just got the car I would go ahead and just change the oil and filter that way you know how much oil you put in and how much you are losing. As far as the oil trailing up the dipstick how long are you waiting after you shut down the engine to check it? If you dont wait 5 mins or so you can get inaccurate readings.
96meangreengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
tracyballard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 268
Default

I generally check it on a cold engine, or wait at least 10 or 15 minutes if I've had it running to check, and I check multiple times to try to get a clear reading. I used to be a heavy line mechanic pulling and rebuilding engines, but diagnosis is not really my best skill.
tracyballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,612
Default

Is the oil coming from inside the bellhousing? or is it running from the top of the bellhousing, if its from inside the belhousing it can only be the rear main seal or in a ver very rare case an oil gallery plug (but u would be losing oil pressure in case of a gallery plug) it its running down from the top of the bellhousing its probably the back of the valve cover.
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
tracyballard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 268
Default

I'll have to check into that, maybe later today. I've had it sitting in the driveway without starting it since Saturday, and I haven't really driven it since Friday night, and there's not a single drop under it. But when it was warmed up good with a few minutes of stoplight flogging, it leaked a big spot in a couple of hours that was about a foot wide by 3 feet long. After cooling down for a couple of hours the leak stopped. I started it up to drive it to a new spot on the driveway Saturday and that wasn't enough to get the leak going.

Does anyone know how many book hours a rear seal replacement calls for?
tracyballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
0949er
4th Gear Member
 
0949er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyballard View Post
I'll have to check into that, maybe later today. I've had it sitting in the driveway without starting it since Saturday, and I haven't really driven it since Friday night, and there's not a single drop under it. But when it was warmed up good with a few minutes of stoplight flogging, it leaked a big spot in a couple of hours that was about a foot wide by 3 feet long. After cooling down for a couple of hours the leak stopped. I started it up to drive it to a new spot on the driveway Saturday and that wasn't enough to get the leak going.

Does anyone know how many book hours a rear seal replacement calls for?
a lot. it will cost a pretty penny.

Locate the leak first before u put it in a shop
0949er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Repzard
4th Gear Member
 
Repzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sttesuhcaxaT (The State you love to hate)
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96meangreengt View Post
It sounds like where its coming from it would be the rear main seal leaking. as far as the oil being a light color maybe the oil has been changed recently and is still a light color.

For future reference if you dont know what it is dont taste it lol.
^ I agree .. Rear Main seal, I heard the 302 where known for RMS leaks bad in the day.
Dont hear much about the 281 leaking though.

Guess antifreeze is a good cocktail drink
Repzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Repzard
4th Gear Member
 
Repzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sttesuhcaxaT (The State you love to hate)
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyballard View Post
I'll have to check into that, maybe later today. I've had it sitting in the driveway without starting it since Saturday, and I haven't really driven it since Friday night, and there's not a single drop under it. But when it was warmed up good with a few minutes of stoplight flogging, it leaked a big spot in a couple of hours that was about a foot wide by 3 feet long. After cooling down for a couple of hours the leak stopped. I started it up to drive it to a new spot on the driveway Saturday and that wasn't enough to get the leak going.

Does anyone know how many book hours a rear seal replacement calls for?
My guess would be a average of 5-8 hours depending on Mech shop.
It involves getting tranny out of the way or even removing it.
the seal itself is cheap but not the labor
Repzard is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil and looks like a bit of coolant leaking soulcaliber39 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions 5 12-28-2016 04:57 AM
2012 3.7 V6 water pump.. what's the trick? eastexsteve 3.7L V6 Technical Discussions 1 12-04-2015 05:41 AM
19" Machined Rim plasti dip? Jwoolsey08 New Member Area 11 10-02-2015 08:42 AM
need a water pump step by step guide needhelpplease 2005-2014 Mustangs 7 09-04-2015 09:59 AM
Oil leak Itzjoe 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 11 08-26-2015 08:15 PM


Tags
02, 2002, 2002n, 2004, 9904, dorp, fluid, gt, leak, leaking, litle, manual, mustang, oil, tramision, transmission, v6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.