4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

never ending clutch squeak (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Default never ending clutch squeak (vid)

Hey guys - so my damn clutch has been squeaking for a couple months now, but I didnt think it sounded like a bearing, so I replaced the cable today. That didnt fix it, and now I'm really annoyed with it. You guys have any ideas? I have a video of the noise below

Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Mine does this sometimes. Check the dust cover for the fork rubbing on it. If you see scrap/scratch marks inside cover. Mine rubs idk why though
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cisurfer
Mine does this sometimes. Check the dust cover for the fork rubbing on it. If you see scrap/scratch marks inside cover. Mine rubs idk why though
I took that video with the dust cover off, thats why its really loud too. It sounds like the noise is coming from the clutch plate or something, not too sure though.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Either the clutch fork is worn out, the TOB is wacky, or the fingers on the pressure plate are worn. Either way, to fix it the trans has to come down
Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Either the clutch fork is worn out, the TOB is wacky, or the fingers on the pressure plate are worn. Either way, to fix it the trans has to come down
ugh I was afraid of that. I'll put cams on hold for a little while longer and have Fastlane check it out I suppose
Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Randomly, the squeaking has gone away, and it feels a lot better. I guess replacing the cable fixed it, I dont know why it still squeaked for a bit after the replacement though
Old 03-13-2011, 10:19 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

that noise is most defiantly your throw out bearing. Coincidence it went away for a bit.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
that noise is most defiantly your throw out bearing. Coincidence it went away for a bit.
You think? I thought the TOB squeaked all the time, not just when you pressed/depressed the clutch. Oh well, another excuse for me to get a new clutch I guess
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
I agree with Doug here. When I replaced my TOB last summer I had a nasty squeek that progressively got worse and worse but the squeek was only when the car was on. Trans has to come out. I think it is definitely your TOB and could be something else in there.
Don't listen to the jerkoff above me spamming. My TOB was completely blown and I still had alot of clutch left so I didn't see the value in spending ANOTHER 400 bucks on something that wasn't essential. Good luck with getting it all worked out man!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
I agree with Doug here. When I replaced my TOB last summer I had a nasty squeek that progressively got worse and worse but the squeek was only when the car was on. Trans has to come out. I think it is definitely your TOB and could be something else in there.
Don't listen to the jerkoff above me spamming. My TOB was completely blown and I still had alot of clutch left so I didn't see the value in spending ANOTHER 400 bucks on something that wasn't essential. Good luck with getting it all worked out man!
+1, pulling the trans can be a PITA but a TOB is a cheap fix.

Quick Reply: never ending clutch squeak (vid)