4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car runs rough after a cleaning and cant figure it out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default car runs rough after a cleaning and cant figure it out!

So I had a coolant hose get a hole in it last night, so i fixed it and washed off all the coolant with a garden hose. ever since then my car will search for idle at times and when driving at a constant speed with the rpm's at anything under about 2400 after a few seconds the car will feel like it runs out of power, if i give it gas it will get worse for a second then all of a sudden pick up and go like normal.

So I figured I got a coil wet, well I replaced all 8 coils, maf, frps, and alternator with my buddies and no change. I also pulled it into work today and checked codes, there's no codes at all and it passes a koer test. Also tried putting the stock tune back on and same thing, then reflashed the tune back on and still no change. Also vacuum is good at a steady 18 and i sprayed ever single vac hose with carb clean and no change in idle. I am out of ideas fella's. what else is there it could be? only thing left i can think of is the tps but i cant get the stupid phillips screws out of the tb to change it.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:24 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
So I had a coolant hose get a hole in it last night, so i fixed it and washed off all the coolant with a garden hose. ever since then my car will search for idle at times and when driving at a constant speed with the rpm's at anything under about 2400 after a few seconds the car will feel like it runs out of power, if i give it gas it will get worse for a second then all of a sudden pick up and go like normal.

So I figured I got a coil wet, well I replaced all 8 coils, maf, frps, and alternator with my buddies and no change. I also pulled it into work today and checked codes, there's no codes at all and it passes a koer test. Also tried putting the stock tune back on and same thing, then reflashed the tune back on and still no change. Also vacuum is good at a steady 18 and i sprayed ever single vac hose with carb clean and no change in idle. I am out of ideas fella's. what else is there it could be? only thing left i can think of is the tps but i cant get the stupid phillips screws out of the tb to change it.
pull your plug wires or coils off and look down at your sparkpugs. Very easy to get water down under the plug wire boot and sit ontop of the sparkplug, ask me how I know lol. will cause a miss.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

already tried that, blew it all out, then sprayed carb cleaner in it and sprayed it out again. think it might have fouled out some plugs? it almost acts as if it's running real rich because it smells like it at times and feels like it kinda loads up when at a steady, low rpm speed, then when i give it gas to burn some of the fuel it cleans up some until it loads up again.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

When i got mine wet, the fix was replace all 8. Are your buddys for sure good?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

well they came off a car that ran perfectly fine before. and i replaced all 8 and it didn't change it at all, i couldn't of imagined that all 8 would of gone bad. also a bad coil should of gave me a code.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

u do a snap test with the vacuum guage? or hold it at cruise speed like 1900 rpms?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
well they came off a car that ran perfectly fine before. and i replaced all 8 and it didn't change it at all, i couldn't of imagined that all 8 would of gone bad. also a bad coil should of gave me a code.
I had one bad when i bought the car, and it never threw a code. Found it from process of elimination. But when i got them wet i had several bad, cause the car missed horribly and wouldn't rev past about 3k. It got a little better after sitting over night, but still missed.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fleet99GT
u do a snap test with the vacuum guage? or hold it at cruise speed like 1900 rpms?
I did a quick snap test and it responded normal. Also something that might be worth mentioning the car runs good at wot it's just at part/steady throttle/idle that it messes up.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

I was about to de-grease and hose down my engine on my 2001 GT. What should I cover to avoid fouling out anything? I will only use low pressure water, but I'm happy to avoid key areas, based on advice from your experience!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

why not just test the tps on the car? if you have a decent diagnostic computer it will tell you tps voltage through the obd port.

Otherwise, test voltage at the grey wire from the tps. Should vary from 0v closed to ~4.5v wot. I'm sure you already knew this, but could be quicker than swapping tps sensors.

Quick Reply: car runs rough after a cleaning and cant figure it out!