4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 GT Transmission swap problem (5-speed to Auto)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

So, you have re-installed those two bolts, replaced the pan, checked your wiring, filled the trans back up, and the trans still isn't shifting?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM
black02GT S/C

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
So, you have re-installed those two bolts, replaced the pan, checked your wiring, filled the trans back up, and the trans still isn't shifting?
yep.......pretty much junk!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Hmmm...did you install the transmission range sensor yourself? It's the black box that the shifter cable hooks into. If that wasn't installed correctly I hear you could have shifting issues.

Also, have you checked the tune via a handheld tuner for shift points? Sounds like maybe it's something with the tune.

There was no need to get your steering column adjusted to work with the new ECU. I did this swap not too long ago and had no problems, other than buying a bad trans lol

EDIT: If Alan at DD built the trans for you why not call him and ask what he thinks is wrong? That would be the best bet.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 PM
black02GT S/C

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Hmmm...did you install the transmission range sensor yourself? It's the black box that the shifter cable hooks into. If that wasn't installed correctly I hear you could have shifting issues.

Also, have you checked the tune via a handheld tuner for shift points? Sounds like maybe it's something with the tune.

There was no need to get your steering column adjusted to work with the new ECU. I did this swap not too long ago and had no problems, other than buying a bad trans lol

EDIT: If Alan at DD built the trans for you why not call him and ask what he thinks is wrong? That would be the best bet.
I did, he says that he knows there isn't anything wrong with the trans. He thinks it's something in the wiring or something thing else. I might just have to take it and have it scanned and find out what sensors are not kicking.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by black02GT S/C
I did, he says that he knows there isn't anything wrong with the trans. He thinks it's something in the wiring or something thing else. I might just have to take it and have it scanned and find out what sensors are not kicking.
Interesting. I used the same years wiring harness as my car and didn't have problems. Did you install the trans harness into the engine harness correctly?

What did you do about the different PCM? Did you have a tuner take a look at it?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:13 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Did you tell Alan that two of the valve body bolts were just hanging out in the pan after falling the F out?

Anyways, even though the thing was kinda falling apart, it does sound more like an electrical issue. Definitely check the shift solenoids. Ohm test them bad boys and make sure they are within specs. IF you can get a wiring diagram for the harness pinout, you will be able to use a multi-meter to make sure you are getting correct voltage at all the pins going into the trans.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Ya that is weird he found 2 bolts just chillaxin in the trans pan after purchasing a rebuilt trans.