4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 Cobra and Emission disable in tune?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation 96 Cobra and Emission disable in tune?

So I just purchased a cobra and took it in for inspection. The car has long tubes, O/R H, and dumped flows.

The guys are totally cool about the visual but if you the comp doesn't pass you then your SOL.

I'm throwing EVAP ctrl valve code (P1143) and air injection system (P0411)

My question is, can I just disable this through a tune to pass? I'm looking into ordering a XCAL3 or possibly getting a dyno tune from a buddy. Wondering if it will not ready up if the system is turned off.

If not, what other options are there? I need to pass inspection before I can register.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ultrashock
So I just purchased a cobra and took it in for inspection. The car has long tubes, O/R H, and dumped flows.

The guys are totally cool about the visual but if you the comp doesn't pass you then your SOL.

I'm throwing EVAP ctrl valve code (P1143) and air injection system (P0411)

My question is, can I just disable this through a tune to pass? I'm looking into ordering a XCAL3 or possibly getting a dyno tune from a buddy. Wondering if it will not ready up if the system is turned off.

If not, what other options are there? I need to pass inspection before I can register.
P1443 - EVAP Control System Canister Purge Valve (Mechanical) Malfunction Monitors the fuel vapor flow between the engine intake manifold and the EVAP canister. The system failure occurs when a leak or blockage between the intake manifold, the EVAP canister purge valve and the EVAP canister is detected by the PCM. Pinched, blocked or plugged fuel vapor tubes/hoses (except between fuel tank and EVAP canister)
Damaged EVAP canister
Disconnected, cracked or cut fuel vapor tubes/hoses (except between fuel tank and EVAP canister)
Damaged EVAP canister purge valve
Check for audible vacuum noise in the engine compartment or significant fuel odor in the engine compartment or near the EVAP canister.

Check out your other thread..https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...nging-pic.html I pretty much refered to this.That hose is your problem cause this code.

GL

Repzard

Last edited by Repzard; 03-24-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

You can disable the secondary air injection, mine is. Tje evap leak is probably the red striped hose that connects to the intake manfiod.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you disable things, the comp won't read it and you'll still fail.

Just take it back to street legal and don't worry about it.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Yeah I'll try to find where to stick that hose. I read a few other places that it goes to the TB.

Why would I spend so much money returning it to 'street legal'? Two of my buddys work at a shop. One owns it and the other helps. Anyway, the owner tuned his car and it reads N/A on the readiness test and passes. I'm sure he knows what he's doing as far as tuning goes.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You're in Texas. I've lived there. When you get pulled over, and it's not street legal.... you'll ask yourself why you didn't take it back to legal. You'll be looking at fines, possibly impound. Having a non street legal car means the insurance isn't valid. You'll pay for that to - and in TX it's a big one. Oh, have fun finding an insurance company that will cover you after that.

Trust me. Just make it street legal. Why is that so bad?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

I have had plenty of buddies get into accidents (even when they're at fault) and have had absolutely no trouble from the police or the insurance company. Actually, I've never even heard of someone getting popped for that.

Anyway, I'm not denying that it's totally possible. I mean, it makes really good sense. The only thing that is terrible about 'street legal' is the choked sound of cats on the car. Other than that, I wouldn't mind it at all. Not trying to be rebellious in any way, just absolutely hate the sound of cats on the car.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Fair enough. I watched several cars in Dallas get crushed after being taken from repeat offenders when it came to emissions violations (leading to the laundry list of tickets). Just trying to give you a heads up.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

The only time I remember hearing about crushing cars was that story a few years ago in California. For emissions, that's really excessive.

Are there really any catted setups that sound decent?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

That comes down to personal opinion. I don't like the non catted sound / smell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Cobra and Emission disable in tune?