4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Overheating.... Well kind of...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 AM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Default Overheating.... Well kind of...

So I'll start this with the list of my recently changed/upgraded items, and I'll go from there:

-Upper and lower radiator hoses (the lower one is a bitch to change!!!!)
-New expansion tank cap
-New 14" Mishimoto Performance fan (set to come on at 140* with SCT Tuner)
-New factory replacement thermostat and gasket.

Now to my saga, and my plan (unless I'm told different). With all this the car still likes to cruise up to between the M and the L during traffic. I know mustangs typically run a little hot, but damn I feel this is too much. The car will never surpass the normal range. Nor will it billow out smoke from the engine, but thats too hot for my personal comfort.

There is a few little things that I've noticed, and maybe you can diagnose my problem. If I'm not mistaken, my upper radiator hose, should be hard when I run the car to normal temp, should it not? Mine never gets hard, but it is hot as all hell to the touch. Also, sporadically the car will leavea puddle of coolant underneath it. Now, it doesn't happen often at all. Just every couple of weeks or so, and it seems to be coming from the bottom high pressure connection on the radiator. I know this is something I need to fix, but I'm sure it isn't the cause of my problem.

My plan of action, is buying a Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, a Moroso coolant expansion tank, new Mishimoto silicon hoses, an Electric water pump, and a Mishimoto racing thermostat.

Hopefully with this, it will fix it. Unless you guys tell me something I can do to fix it with out all that.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Josh17

My 97 GT was overheating once, then i figured out the stupid guy from the shop left a hose clamp on my radiator hose! >
Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

The leaking is what I'd be worried about.

Apparently, the sn95 gauges are dummy gauges. I could not find what was causing my cobra to overheat...

New thermostat, new hoses, radiator was fine, cap was new, coolant was full, fan kicks on, burped it, etc.

Anyway, I took it in to get it looked at and they also saw nothing wrong an explained that the gauges in the instrument panel don't really work. The best thing to do is to buy a autometer gauge for oil/temp. My oil pressure reads at the H mark from time to time and the charge reads low. The odometer is out/the whole cluster is done for.

I think if you go with your plan of attack, you would have just about done everything I'd know to do.