4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O/R h-pipe no engine code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Default O/R h-pipe no engine code?

I have been running my car for almost a year now with no cats and no check engine light on. I guess I shoudn't complain but I thought when running a O/R h-pipe you would get a check engine light? The light does work and I dont have a MIL kit ethier, what gives?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Epicly awesome luck? Lol the second I turned on my car with my x pipe the MIL came on.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Endrance
Epicly awesome luck? Lol the second I turned on my car with my x pipe the MIL came on.
It does seem odd.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I wonder if your car has had them turned off by a tuner. It's pretty obvious that's the case, actually.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
I wonder if your car has had them turned off by a tuner. It's pretty obvious that's the case, actually.
Im not sure. the guy I bought the car from didn't mention it. When I bought it was bone stock except the the cat delete and flowmasters.

I thought about buying a sct in a month or so, will I have any issues uploading a tune from the sct if the car already has had a tune with something else?

The only thing performance wise that I have done is a PI intake swap.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I don't have experience using different tuners on the same car, but I would imagine there is some procedure behind it. You could always call the customer service for whatever tuner you decide on.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
96dkgreengt
2nd Gear Member

same thing with my car.. i bought it bone stock a few years ago.. only exhaust mod was a mac prochamber (no cats) that i installed a few weeks ago and no cel..
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96meangreengt
Im not sure. the guy I bought the car from didn't mention it. When I bought it was bone stock except the the cat delete and flowmasters.

I thought about buying a sct in a month or so, will I have any issues uploading a tune from the sct if the car already has had a tune with something else?

The only thing performance wise that I have done is a PI intake swap.
the only problem i could see from that is that your computer will recognize that the tuner you're useing isnt the one that was initially married to it so you might not be able to re-tune it. if its possible i would call up the guy you bought the car from (big stretch i know) just to see if he did. although if he didnt say anything i doubt it.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

I have same thing, bought my car used with X-pipe and no cats. No engine codes and the car even passed a smog test. I didn't realize it was catless until later when I crawled under it to replace the throw out bearing. I am planning to get a tuner soon too. Hope there are no issues with it.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM
ryanm
1st Gear Member

I put an off-road x pipe and the check engine light randomly came on about 2 weeks later. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and it stayed off for about a week. A tune is the only way that you wouldn't get the little yellow light when you run it cat-less.

Quick Reply: O/R h-pipe no engine code?