4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Power Mods for a Noobie

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

What I'm worried about is this drone I keep reading about. I found some Super 44's for $74 each and was going to have them put in place of the stock one's at 2.25".

I asked the guys at the muffler shop if I needed an x-pipe or h-pipe right away to get a nice sound and they all said not really.

But now I'm reading about this drone and I hear if you don't had certain tubes, catbacks, or chambered tips that you'll go crazy on the highway driving above 2000rpm.

What I want to do is build a best bang for your buck, $500 or less installed exhaust plan for bad a$$ sound without any of this infamous drone on the highway.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 AM
bigbadstang
1st Gear Member

Default whipple

where do u buy a whipple for my 2002 gt 4.6 2v pi i could not find them on there site?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

OP for the moment it sounds like a quality supercharger build is out of your price range slightly. Nitrous is going to be your best bet to meet your power "goals" but to me n20 just isnt that fun. It leaves your car a dog outside of pushing a button that makes you blast off for a few seconds. This coupled with having to keep the bottle refilled and warm to me makes it more of a task and hassle than fun for a street car, in my opinion. But keep this in mind, it costs a lot more to get to 350-380RWHP N/A than it does getting 400RWHP+ F/I(supercharger, nitrous, turbo).

Originally Posted by zero2005
sort of like a good rifle, sure you can own a huge .50 cal sniper rifle, but if i can outshoot you with my .22 LR, then whats it matter?
Wellllll....recoil, bullet speed, bullet trajectory, stopping power, mass(weight) of bullet, expansion and accuracy. You asked :P .

expensive. lol. depends on shop. also depends on type of supercharger and how well of a kit it is. could be 500-1100$. shops charge by the hour, so i'd say a kenne bell would be pretty easy to install since its just a manifold, spark plug, fuel injector/pump swap...
It is my understanding that twin-screw kits are significantly more in-depth. I have not installed a Centri, I have however installed a KB. The fact that you have to disassemble, re-organize and reinstall the entire top end of the motor makes it not so simple. As far as I know you just bolt the centri up to its pulley, do some piping, injectors, MAF and you're good to go. Might have to tap the oil pan depending on manufacturer and model.

keep in mind, some kits dont include any sort of tune... so if you dont have a tune, thats like another 500-1000$ for a tune... kenne bell includes a safe base "chip" tune.

not tryin to push KB, but its probably the most complete kit there is... i think the ONLY thing it doesnt have is spark plugs lol..

if you want quick fast cheap easy HP... i say NOS. only problem is you gotta find a place to get the juice from, and keep it full. but for 500$, and probably like 100-200$ labor (hell, you could probably do at that in your garage, easy as a throttle body swap if you do a small plate kit)... honestly, i think this would have been my first mod ever if i had the knowledge i do now. if i get a 240sx or a BMW i'm def doing as big a shot as it can handle safely. you just gotta make sure that you have the bottle open (extra $ for the auto bottle opener) before you wanna use it..
Yep the KB kit is very complete. All you need is tools and spark plugs.

Originally Posted by mrtstang
OP, if you don't want to spend much, but want your car to really fly then nitrous is really your only feasible option.
+1

Originally Posted by bigbadstang
where do u buy a whipple for my 2002 gt 4.6 2v pi i could not find them on there site?
Whipple doesnt make a blower for this engine. At least the stock intake manifold. I believe youd have to buy the $2,000+ tork tek intake manifold to make it work.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tommy079
Why a midpipe over new mufflers? I'm wanting a nice aggressive sound out of my mustang, with a couple hp as a bonus to the mod. I was thinking about flowmaster super 44's. But I was just going to have my local muffler shop cut out the stock mufflers and weld in the flowmasters?

Is a midpipe better than my idea? If so...why?
because thats where the HP is at in our cars exhaust, the midpipe/headers. and since an aftermarke midpipe is only $150-170 its a pretty good bang for the buck mod. Mufflers wont add bu maybe 1-2 hp whereas a good X/H pipe will add that good muscle car sound and about 10-15hp
Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Two things and two things only. Gears and then exhaust.

Gears: 4.30's for the street and curve or 4.10's for the strip. If you run out of RPM's, change your tire height.

Exhaust: Flowmasters for power and sound or SLP's or similar for wet diaper farts.

Then read until you're not a Noob anymore.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
because thats where the HP is at in our cars exhaust, the midpipe/headers. and since an aftermarke midpipe is only $150-170 its a pretty good bang for the buck mod. Mufflers wont add bu maybe 1-2 hp whereas a good X/H pipe will add that good muscle car sound and about 10-15hp
I hope to god I didnt pick up 10-15hp with my O/R H haha. My **** is gonna grenade like the sitch soon if so.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I hope to god I didnt pick up 10-15hp with my O/R H haha. My **** is gonna grenade like the sitch soon if so.

There is a difference in adding boost or engine mods to make more power and freeing up Hp by making your air pump run more efficiently. By adding a better flowing exhaust system it puts less pressure on your engine and therefore will actually prolong your Stock bottom end. You may actually see a slight drop in boost across the entire power band but you will NOT loose any power because of it.

The only way I would start to worry is if your tune is on the fence and has an erratic A/F at high RPM's. ...but I would have worried about that well before adding an O/R H.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
that was at the crank for a bolt on 2v...but it wouldnt suprise me if yours did lol
Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
There is a difference in adding boost or engine mods to make more power and freeing up Hp by making your air pump run more efficiently. By adding a better flowing exhaust system it puts less pressure on your engine and therefore will actually prolong your Stock bottom end. You may actually see a slight drop in boost across the entire power band but you will NOT loose any power because of it.

The only way I would start to worry is if your tune is on the fence and has an erratic A/F at high RPM's. ...but I would have worried about that well before adding an O/R H.
I completely forgot about this. Good reminder. Its really just unlocked power, reducing restriction(stress) on the bottom end.

Originally Posted by boduke0220
that was at the crank for a bolt on 2v...but it wouldnt suprise me if yours did lol
I might have. I went WOT on Friday coming home from work and either my MAF pegged or fuel pressure gave out because something happened and I lost all power and bucked a little bit. Scared the **** out of me. It sounds like a friggin dump truck i'll tell you that, i'm actually really surprised. I've heard a few LT setups that are about this loud. Hopefully without sounding like an old man i'm considering taking the O/R H off, I can't hear my blower anymore and i cant decide what I like more.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

keep in mind that the midpipes that are in the 150 to 180 range dont have any cats and you will have to swap in the factory pipe for inspections. id go with the gears and programmer option from am. muscle if i were you. im actually gettin ready to order it myself.

Quick Reply: Power Mods for a Noobie