4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Normal or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

OK I'll type real slow this time! the speed cal has NOTHING to do with your RPM's
Your RPM's are correct
Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
OK I'll type real slow this time! the speed cal has NOTHING to do with your RPM's
Your RPM's are correct
Yes I understood that. Cliffy asked if the speedcal was installed or disconnected so I was answering him.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by huey_33
Tires are 245 40R18 and are approximately 25.8 inches in diameter. Can't really do the overdrive thing cause my overdrive button wires ripped off the button when I changed shifter ***** a while back. I tried installing the speedcal again the other day but just like the last time, I get it all wired up and the car throws 7 CEL's so I took it off and it's now sitting in the backseat of my car. So I have no idea what else I can do. I think it's just gonna end up with me living with high RPM's.
than what does that comment mean?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Because according to Cliffys gear chart, with my automatic transmission, my tire size, my tire diameter and my 4.10 gears, I should be doing 66.9 mph at 2500 RPM's and 80.2 mph at 3000 RPM's in fourth gear. Not 67 mph at 3000 RPM's which is what I am doing now, so something isn't right!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You said the wires to the overdrive switch were broken, on the '99+ models this would make overdrive ON every time you start the car. The switch is a momentary contact like the t/c switch, and like the t/c it always starts out in the same state--overdrive OFF.

Can someone with a '98 that's working properly confirm if the overdrive setting is retained when you stop and start the car? For example on my wife's Highlander the o/d switch is not momentary, button in = o/d ON, button out = o/d OFF.

I am wondering if the OP's tranny is stuck in o/d off, meaning that the highest gear he has is 3rd...
Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

The OD wires broke before I had the 4.10's put in so I can confirm that everything was fine and the OD was not off. I was thinking that too but remembered everything was fine and didn't have high RPM's before the gears were put in. If I go and get a momentary switch, can you tell me which OD wire is pos and which OD wire is neg?

Last edited by huey_33; 04-07-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by huey_33
The OD wires broke before I had the 4.10's put in so I can confirm that everything was fine and the OD was not off. I was thinking that too but remembered everything was fine and didn't have high RPM's before the gears were put in. If I go and get a momentary switch, can you tell me which OD wire is pos and which OD wire is neg?
It doesn't matter, the switch won't care...

But, you know what?

I took another look at the shop manual and found an inconsistency.

Here is the diagram for the overdrive switch:

Note that the switch is said to be momentary in the call-out, however the symbol is that of a SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) non-momentary switch, and note that in ther description next to the switch assembly it says the position 1 (closed) is "TCS Enable" (Transmission Control Switch) and that position 2 (open) is described as "TCS Disable".

This is completely contrary to what is stated in the call-out.

For reference, here is the traction control switch diagram:

I know for a fact that the t/c control switch in momentary, and the symbol shows that.

In the last, here is the description of the Transmission Control Switch:

They say again that it is a momentary switch, however the highlighted language speaks of the O/D OFF lamp being illuminated when the "switch is off"--implying that it is NOT a momentary contact switch?

I am wondering if it is indeed a non-momentary switch, and that since the wires are disconnected it is "open", disabling the overdrive.

What happens if you just connect the two wires, which would be the same as the switch being closed (position 1 in the diagram)?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I'm not gonna lie, reading diagrams like that one is like trying to read and understand korean. I'm just gonna go get a momentary switch (preferrably a push button one), hook it up, see if it works and hope I don't blow any fuses. Also, I just got a new camera and took it out on the highway with me so I could videotape the speedometer and RPM's. Will post in a bit.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Simply put I have 3.73s and an auto and at 70mph im almost rite at 2500rpm with the stock 3.27 i was at 2000rpm at 70mph so you tach should be right. Before you get gears ppl usually say that you rpms shouldnt go up much and some say it will. One way to find out is to install them and see what the rpms do and you can see now that around 70 with 4.10s your at 3000rpm sounds about right if not you should be very close to 3000rpm once you get close to 70mph or "67 mph"
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I'm thinking it not a momentary switch--see what happen when you hold the button on the switch you get...

Quick Reply: Normal or not