4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Time for New Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Default Time for New Brakes

Hey everyone,

Lately, my front two wheels have been screeching like crazy, and so I jacked the car up and sure enough I need new brakes.

I am going to get new Rotors and new Pads.

My question is, what should I get?

I am pretty much not knowledgeable at all in this category. I was considering Hawk Ceramic pads, but I also have heard some people get ceramic brakes from autozone or NAPA, so what should I do?

And as far as Rotors go, I was thinking about getting Brembo rotors, not drilled or slotted just plain faced. If those aren't worth it, once again, are the rotors from places like autozone or NAPA any good?

Obviously my first choice is the Brembo rotors with Hawk pads, but I have pretty much no idea what to look for.

Oh and one more question. My parking brake is pretty screwed up. Okay, so when I engage it to the point where it's almost impossible to disengage, the car still doesn't really stay "parked", sometimes it just rolls anyways. What can I do to fix this?

Also, the car alot of times doesnt recognize the parking brake is on. What I mean is, I'll engage the brake, and then the Parking Brake light on the dash rarely comes on, and alot of time it wont let me put my top down until I can get it to detect the parking brake.

Thanks,
DMD
Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Auto zone rotors are ok, they are a cheaper steel, so they are at higher risk of warping. Brembos would be nice if its in your budget.

For the parking brake, pull your center consul, when i bought my car it was over self-adjusted. So i had to pull the line off my rear calipers and re set the ratchet mechanism. Once you can get in there to see it, you should be able to figure it out.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

The parking brake light works through a sensor on the parking brake handle. I think it is a screw with a spring around it(kinda like a button). So when the parking brake is disengaged, the screw and spring is pushed down and the light turns off. So to fix that you will need to pull off you center consul and adjust the sensor. It is held onto the parking brake with a small clip if I remember correctly. My mustang has the opposite problem as you, the parking brake light will not turn off lol. Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Okay I will for sure go with the Brembo rotors, the plain/not slotted ones are only $80 so it is definitely within my price range. Thanks for the help!

So now, what pads would go well with the brembo rotors?

And okay I will check out the Parking Brake right now, I'm removing all of the carpetting anyways to figure out where my car is leaking (It is always wet under my floormat on the driver side)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Ive heard good about the Hawk pads, but any ceramic pad should be good. I havent changed my front pads yet, but I'm going to try the Duralast Gold Ceramic pads. (they were free) as soon as i need to do my front brakes again.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM
bigbadstang
1st Gear Member

Default brakes

how about stainless lines? worth it?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

You don't really NEED stainless lines unless you are doing heavy stopping...

I recommend you get this...

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=689&cPath=6

and then a set of 13" brake rotors

It might be a couple extra bucks, but TOTALLY WORTH IT for the front brake upgrade...
Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

heres a pic of the ebrake sensor.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
You don't really NEED stainless lines unless you are doing heavy stopping...

I recommend you get this...

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=689&cPath=6

and then a set of 13" brake rotors

It might be a couple extra bucks, but TOTALLY WORTH IT for the front brake upgrade...
SS lines do not benefit heavy stopping, as much as heavy stopping in quick succession.

Dutch.... I recommend you read my Brakes Upgrade thread (sig) and save yourself some $$$ and VASTLY improve your brakes. The thread is geared toward the most economical "brake for the buck" solution to OEM Mustang brakes. The stock rotors and calipers are fine, so unless you are looking for the visual upgrade of larger rotors, they will do you very little over OEM diameter and don't require any other parts.

I recommend you just spend a few hundred $$$ and be completely done with the brakes and move onto any other mods as necessary.

Jazzer
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

** heavy stopping repeatedly**

that is what i should have said

Quick Reply: Time for New Brakes