4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 gt miss....I'm at a loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

Default 98 gt miss....I'm at a loss

last week I blew the heater hose, and replaced it but it got sensors and plugs/wires wet so the car wouldn't start, so I unplugged everything that got wet and it ran fine after that.

Thursday I noticed that when I started the car after work it missed for a few seconds but went away, then it did it again on Friday, so Friday night I pulled the plug wires again and left the hood open over night [it was garaged] Saturday it did it every time I started the car up as I was doing a lot of running around, it sat for about 2 hours and it did it the worst and it took a good 5 minutes for it to stop missing. then it sat for another 2 hours and when I started it back up it would not stop missing the entire time the car was on, and it does this now the entire time the car is running, the rpms also bob up and down.

Sunday I changed all 8 spark plugs and all the threads on all 8 were wet with coolant on the threads, before I replaced them I sprayed brake parts cleaner in the boots and plug holes. when the car runs it sounds lopey and the rpms rev up and down slightly, also there is a small amount of smoke mostly coming from the passenger side. when the car goes down the road it pulses like you step on the gas the let off over and over.

I had a mechanic friend look at it and he said there's water somehow getting into my combustion chamber, but not through the head gasket [no water in oil] it threw a code for egr circuit malfunction, not one for a misfire. he said he doesn't understand why it sounds lopey. he also said could have a coolant sensor bad and IAC and he suspects that the intake gasket is leaking and water is getting in through the intake valve, and the coolant level is slowly going down.

anyone have any clue whats wrong with it? or is my friend right and I need to change the egr sensor IAC and intake gasket?

short clip of the exhaust lope and you can kinda see the rpm fluctuate:

http://youtu.be/8ecBATuLhPA

Last edited by stangcoupe1970; 04-20-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

IMO seems like you have blown a head gasket on the passenger side.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

The only way that coolant would get to your cylinder wall is by pushing is way through the head gasket. Now I know you said there is no coolant in oil. Is there any bubbles on the dipstick and is there oil in the cooling system?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

For the fact that you said it smokes it def sounds like a gasket issue.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

there's no oil in the coolant or bubbles on the dipstick.

i was thinking the miss is because there's still coolant in the holes where the plugs go, and the smoke was unburnt gas...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

I see. Change that intake gasket if you already havent done it and thats the only other thing that would make sense its seeping through into the intake ports.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's another scenario--when the heater hose blew it sprayed coolant all over, including into the spark plug wells. When the OP pulled the plugs the coolant ran down into the cylinders (and wet the plug threads as they were removed).

Then, as brake cleaner is a terrible thing to spray on plugs and wires another ignition problem was created.

What I would do would be to blow out the plug wells with compressed air and once again pull the plugs. Then while they are out wipe the plugs wells dry with a shop cloth, and do a compression test to rule out (or in) a bad head gasket.

Next blow out the plug connectors on the wires with air, spray them with WD-40 (Water Displacing, formula 40) and blow 'em out again.

Assuming the compression check comes out OK put it all back together and see how it runs; if the compression is bad then it's time to dig further...
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

it was skipping before the removal of plugs and brake parts cleaner, changing the spark plugs and spraying the cleaner changed nothing.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Did you check the coolant nipple coming out of the back of the intake? They break and come apart and can seep coolant down into bank 1
Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by stangcoupe1970
it was skipping before the removal of plugs and brake parts cleaner, changing the spark plugs and spraying the cleaner changed nothing.
My point is that spraying the brake cleaner would not fix the problem, it probably just continued i--brake cleaner if for cleaning brakes, not ignition system components...

Quick Reply: 98 gt miss....I'm at a loss