4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anybody out there really familar with hydroboost systems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

Default Anybody out there really familar with hydroboost systems?

I posted over a week ago about a power steering pump issue I was having, and got some good sugestions but I am still having an issue. My orignal power steering pump let go, so I replaced it with a re-man from NAPA, and it only lasted any hour before the front seal began leaking like the orignal. I brought it to NAPA thinking I got a dud from them, and they gave me another to install. I went ahead and installed the second one from NAPA, and it lasted about five miles before fluid came pouring out of the front seal yet again? I returned that unit to NAPA and got my money back, and picked one up at the Ford dealer instead. I am afraid to install the Ford one now, because of all my issues and the fact that somthing else is most likely causing this to happen. The system does not leak fluid anywhere besides the front seal on the pump, and there does seem like there is excessive air in the system. Fluid pushes out of the power steering tank, and there are alot of air bubbles on the surface of the fluid in the tank. I tried bleeding the system the normal way with the wheels off the ground, going stop to stop on the steering rack but it does not seem to be getting rid of all of it? I was wondering if there was anybody out there that works on the hydroboost systems, and weather or not they have ever heard of this issue before? I dont want to keep throwing my money and time at it, some people think it could be the rack or the hydroboost causing the issue? I cannot commit getting any other mechanics to look at my car or take it in, I think they will run into the same wall that I have with it. There must be a Ford mechanic out there who has heard of this, no Mustang shop in my region has ever heard of this ever so i'm stuck with no answers right now?!?!

Please help.......
Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Maybe something is blocking the flow in the lines and the excessive pressure of the pump is relieving through the front seal
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by cisurfer
Maybe something is blocking the flow in the lines and the excessive pressure of the pump is relieving through the front seal
That's the only thought I have, a badly dimpled, crimped or crushed line (pressure or return) could possibly cause such a pressure build-up?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 AM
97mustanggton18s
2nd Gear Member

They say re-man are just as good as a new, that isnt the case. When ever possible at work I always try to use brand new parts. I once got 3 bad p/s pumps for a ford taurus, the only one that would work was a brand new one from ford. Although the pump didnt start leaking right away air could be getting past that front seal and allowing air in the system which would give you your bubbles. I would put on a NEW pump for ford and bleed the system. Fords arent easy to get all the air out right away and may have a slight bit of noise for sometime while you drive it.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

BAd steering,rack happened on my sabke. Bled that thing forever. Replaced the rack, good to go