4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shift interlock solenoid issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 PM
My96Stang29

Default Shift interlock solenoid issue?

OK I am totally new to this posting this but I need your... my brothers and sisters with mustangs....help.

I own a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 Automatic trans.
I can not get it out of park. I have read several forums before, not sure if it was from this site or not but my issue does not seem to fall with the same characteristics as others I have read.
I have tried putting it into gear after starting the can, I have tried to put it into gear before starting the vehicle, key turned part on (engine is not on) I have tried it with the key out, e-brake on, e-brake off, Steering wheel is not locked, brake lights all work. Seems like everything is working but for the life of me I can not figure this out. I have tried getting under the plastic plate where the shifter is but I cant seem to find a release anywhere, no little door to flip open to get to any screw nothing I can see. I dont see any way to manually flip any switch. I am really confused here guys and gals. Help from anyone is much appreciated.

Now on a side note if anyone has heard of this second issue feel free to post on this also. I tried (years ago) to put a cold air intake on this same car and it would constantly foul out O2 sensors. running lean bank 2 I think the code was. Only thing I could think of was that the mass air flow sensor wasnt working correctly (I had to move it because of the cold air kit) to a position different than stock. I am thinking this was the root of the problem but I even took it to a mustang only shop and they didnt know either so I figured I would ask that while I was here as well. Anyway thanks a lot for any help.
Dave
Old 12-31-2014, 07:31 AM
wldgeese

Default Auto trans shift lever issues

My mustang's auto trans shifter would get stuck in park, a bunch. It seems that I couldn't press the release button, on the shifter, in far enough to release the shift lever in PARK. The deal is that there is a module attached to the underside of the steering column that will release the PARK interlock when all the ignition and brake pedal conditions are met. This little PARK interlock is connected to the auto trans shift lever by something that resembles a mountain bike brake cable. I had to remove the center console and get that shifter cover plate up, to actually see the connection end of the cable. Then with some needle nose pliers disconnected the shifter end of the cable from the plastic cam on the shifter pivot point. THIS I IMPORTANT. You now do not have and kind of startup interlock. You can plop down into the driver seat and operate the shifter with out your key in the ignition &/or your foot on the brake pedal. In fact you can start the engine while it's in gear. So be careful.