4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Failed Heli Coil now in head - What are my options and could this have been avoided??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:47 PM
GTVal

Unhappy Failed Heli Coil now in head - What are my options and could this have been avoided??

Hello,
This is my first post so please help w/ advice if possible and be patient as I am lacking on message etiquette, lingo, etc...

My 96 GT is in the shop for several basic issues/maintenance items. While doing a much needed plug replacement the shop owner called to advise of significant thread damage / wear, said nothing could be done without addressing the prob but that it could be fixed using a helicoil kit. I SPECIFICALLY asked if this was a permanent fix or a quickie patch repair and shop owner/manager said is permanent fix. (190K+mileage on vehicle)

Later received call from mechanic advising the helicoil "failed" and had entered the head. Not only that but he said only about 1/3 of helicoils actually "take". The shop now wants upward of $700 in labor alone to remove the helicoil from its resting place. This, of course does not address a solution to the thread problem which I can only assume has been exacerbated by the helicoil application. I borrowed the money for the original repairs/maintenance and have no way to come up an additional $700++ so they gave me a few days to leave the vehicle while I consider options.

I called an old friend who has a shop thinking he might allow me to leave my car for a more extended time or make payments. When I explained the situation, he said he didn't know why they wanted to charge for labor when it seemed as though they created the problem. Furthermore, he wondered why they elected to use helicoil and indicated there is a newer type of repair kit specifically designed to address this very common problem in the triton/ford plug thread design.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed? I am relatively handy mechanically, but not to the point of removing (much less replacing) the head. Is my poor car as good as junk? :.(
Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You friend is correct on all counts.

They created the problem by screwing the Helicoil insert in too far, send them a certified letter (to get a real document trail going) that relates the entire discussion(s) you have had with them, and makes it clear you believe this is a problem they created and that they are responsible for fixing it.

They will respond by saying no, you then file a claim against them in small claims court. They will then receive notice of the claim and hopefully understand you mean business--if not follow through with the small claims court case.

As to the choice of a Helicoil your friend is dead on there as well, there is a company named TIMESERT that makes a Ford specific repair kit.

Helicoils are great for fixing lawn mowers and small outboard motors--they should never be used on a real engine.

The cylinder head will have to come off to get the Helicoil out...
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM
GTVal

Shop owner and mechanic maintain the heli coil insert was not screwed in too far, but rather that the condition of the threading (or lack thereof) was such that it fell right through. I cannot speculate either way so I have no response.

During discussions w/ the mechanic post-helicoil, I mentioned that years before I did experience a plug pop out. I was able to put it back and experienced no trouble (that I was aware of) afterward. This was approx 60K miles/3 years ago. The shop owner has stated that if he knew about the plug issue he would not have authorized work on the vehicle as this is a contributing factor to our current predicament.

He has generously offered to reduce labor charges by half and allow the vehicle to remain in the shop a few extra days so I can furnish payment. My hope at this point is that all proceeds smoothly and the GT will have a few more happy years with me
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
madmike90
1st Gear Member

i wouldnt even pay HALF labor....

they should have tapped the threads at a minimum, if they were going to use a helicoil.

if they tapped the threads, it wouldnt have fell in..
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If there is nothing in the cylinder you can probably still use a TimeSert, as they use a much larger initial re-bore than a Helicoil...

Last edited by cliffyk; 04-26-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

I would def open up the claim against them. They have created the issue and they will resolve it. Im sorry for your mishap man I hope you get this worked out. Keep ups informed.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by GTVal
Shop owner and mechanic maintain the heli coil insert was not screwed in too far, but rather that the condition of the threading (or lack thereof) was such that it fell right through. I cannot speculate either way so I have no response.

During discussions w/ the mechanic post-helicoil, I mentioned that years before I did experience a plug pop out. I was able to put it back and experienced no trouble (that I was aware of) afterward. This was approx 60K miles/3 years ago. The shop owner has stated that if he knew about the plug issue he would not have authorized work on the vehicle as this is a contributing factor to our current predicament.

He has generously offered to reduce labor charges by half and allow the vehicle to remain in the shop a few extra days so I can furnish payment. My hope at this point is that all proceeds smoothly and the GT will have a few more happy years with me
Well I'm glad your happy with the half price outcome, hopefully it works out because by mentioning you had a plug blow out you'll never win the claim if you take it to court now.