4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Setting up PCV on 4.6 modular Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
37zephyr

Default Setting up PCV on 4.6 modular Help!!

Hi all-

I am installing a 4.6 2v "dropout" motor in a '37 Lincoln Zephyr 3 window coupe, running a Telorvek kit. I am getting close to being done but am a little confused on the throttle body/plenum hose setup. Keep in mind I did not have a "before" to work from, this engine is a brand new 2002 modular that showed up on a pallet. It's a little hard to see from pictures on the web how this was all meant to work.

I understand that the idle air control (IAC) "air cleaner outlet pipe" hose goes to the air intake. It is there so the plenum has an airflow when the throttle butterfly is closed. So far, so good.

To the right of that, we appear to have a vacuum pickup for the PCV.A friend said I need to hook a hose up to that and run it to the PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover. However, this valve has wires that need to run somewhere, and the friendly folks at the Detail Zone (retailer of the Telorvek kit) have no idea what to do with them. So do I pull out the valve and just put a fitting in its place, and route this to the vacuum input on the plenum?

That leaves the driver's side valve cover with it's long tube. Looks like this one runs to the air intake, between the Mass airflow sensor and the throttle body, is that right? This is where I am really confused as another forum post seemed to indicate that this instead connects to the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover. Yet another post said if the air intake does not get a whiff of sdirty half-burned fumes from the driver's side valve cover, the engine will code.

So a little help here would be much appreciated, basically how would you suggest I hook up the PCV overall?

Lastly what is that little crooked port on the back of the intake for? By the return spring I mean. Just a vacuum pickup?

thanks much David
Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

Everything that your thinking is correct...the drivers side valve cover runs over the engine and into the air intake tube. The hose coming out of the plenum goes to the passenger side valve cover. The newer cars have the PCV valve with the wire connector. There is a small harness that plugs into the PCV valve and goes right over to the main COP/fuel injector harness at the front of the passenger side valve cover...hope this helps...
Old 04-29-2011, 06:33 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Other notes:

Both the IAC, and the PCV air feed to the driver's side valve cover, need to connect to the intake after the MAF, so that the air they move is metered.

The vacuum connection at the back of the upper plenum is for the EVAP system--it can just be plugged if your are not using the EVAP system.

The wires near the PCV valve are for the valve heater, here's the connector diagram:

The B+ wire is red/black and connects to a "hot in run" source, the ground connection is the black wire. You can use a non-heated valve, the PCM does not monitor the heater circuit.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 PM
37zephyr

Thank you both very much for the help, I really appreciate it!! That should make everything very easy to hook up now.

One more question, if you don't mind, any advice on "dos and don'ts" for firing this engine up for the first time? As I said it's an 02 motor that was shipped dry, and I backed it up with a 4R70W and mustang rear end, so the Zephyr is basically a mustang under the skin.

Obviously fill it with oil first, and make sure the transmission is also topped up!!

But then should I remove the coils and let the engine crank a few times or...? I don't want to throw codes that will be hard to reset, but I sure don't want to damage anything on the inital startup. Any words of advice much appreciated...thanks much, David