4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

more o2 sensor codes ugh

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Default more o2 sensor codes ugh

I used to always throw 1131 and 1151 codes until i got my tune from bama because of my longtubes, this past week i put my new trans in from hanlon motorsports and my front suspension (switch to upr)...today i threw 0133 and 0153, o2 slow response, i had the battery disconnected for 4 days while doing this work to it, today i unplugged the o2s and cleaned them off and plugged them back in...tonight i threw 0153, what is going on here, no wires are crimped or exposed sensors are less than a year old. the only different thing i have done is put my catted midpipe back on and to remove the trans i had to remove the passenger side header which i install tight, but the 0153 is the drivers side, any input? should i load my tune again?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

No need to reload the tune because it donesn't just fall off the computer so to speak. Have you tried replacing the o2s at all?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

they are both about 5 months old, for both to throw codes at the same time i highly doubt they are bad and are actually doing their job detecting an actually problem, what causes this to happen?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

I swapped the o2 sensors from left to right. Cleared codes. P0153 came back. Only thing I did was replace transmission and added my catted midpipe instead of my offroad h
Old 05-03-2011, 04:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Exhaust leak(s) near the O2 sensor can cause those codes...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

What about exhaust leaks like 2 inches after the sensor at the collector?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

would having a tune for LT headers and o/r mid cause this to happen when putting a catted mid on?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:03 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by cisurfer
What about exhaust leaks like 2 inches after the sensor at the collector?
I think that falls neatly into the "Exhaust leak(s) near the O2 sensor..." category.

would having a tune for LT headers and o/r mid cause this to happen when putting a catted mid on?
It could, however the exhaust leak needs to be fixed first.

The exhaust flow is not one homogeneous stream, but rather a series of pulses created by each exhaust event. These pulses have a head, body, and tail; each with different characteristic, with their pressure relative to the outside world being the most significant.
  • The head is at a pressure higher than ambient, when it passes the "leak" the gas flows out into the world; but the chemical composition of the gas in the pipe remains unchanged;
  • The body is at or close to ambient pressure. When it passes the leak nothing happens as it and the ambient pressure are nearly the same--the chemical make-up of the gas in the pipe remains unchanged;
  • The tail is at less than ambient pressure (nearly a complete vacuum), and when it passes by the leak it sucks in ambient air--changing the exhaust gas chemical composition and making it appear "leaner" to the O2 sensor;

This is why the leak makes the PCM believe the mix is lean, a big or close enough leak can cause the sensor response to slow or even appear "stuck".
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

ok there was a leak, which i fixed, ill try it again though, but like i said the only thing i did was change mid pipes really
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

i pulled the code again tonight, with new o2 sensors and got a p0133, if i have an exhaust leak how does it switch from side to side, one time its 0133 then the next its 0153

Quick Reply: more o2 sensor codes ugh