4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone using a hand held tuner with a supercharger???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
you cant run 87 octane and a blower.
Originally Posted by Modular_Madness
What im uncertain of is whether the 87 octane tune will have any effects on my supercharger.

?
He did answer your question. lol 87 on a blower is bad news because of detonation levels.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Modular_Madness
Gee really?

WTF???

Did you even read what i posted?I dont give a **** about the tuner other than tailoring shift points.Im fully aware of what it needs for fuel and only run 93.What im uncertain of is whether the 87 octane tune will have any effects on my supercharger.

Lets see if i can get an actual answer to an actual question instead of a bunch of non sense i already knew?
...i just told you. yea the 87 tune will have affects, you wont make any power, you'll have driveability issues and theres no telling what will happen to the motor..that good enough for you? i know what your saying, you want the 87 tune, but just run 93 gas, and that isnt how it works.

Last edited by boduke0220; 06-14-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

The car needs to be tuned

Last edited by smythge; 06-15-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
...i just told you. yea the 87 tune will have affects, you wont make any power, you'll have driveability issues and theres no telling what will happen to the motor..that good enough for you? i know what your saying, you want the 87 tune, but just run 93 gas, and that isnt how it works.
You are misunderstanding what he is saying, he wants to make changes to his existing tune with a handheld, but the existing tune is not in his handheld. He is asking what happens if I plug it in the tuner and use the 87 tune to modify my existing tune. It doesn't work this way the 87 tune will overwrite his current tune changing all of his parameters. He doesn't actually want to run an 87 tune.

Last edited by smythge; 06-14-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

OP

You need to have your tuner make the tune on you car into a hand held tuner tune file that you can download to a hand held tuner that you can then put on the car. He needs to make it an adjustable tune so you can make changes to shift points, rev limiters and so forth.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Would it be okay to drive it to your dyno destination say 2 hours with just a hand tune?

And assuming you're driving normally and not horsing it.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

is it a hand tune for the supercharger that came with it or is it a just a blank tuner that you played around with on your car....i would not drive a sc car that is not tuned for the sc at all thats just bad bad bad news!!! it can either dump ungodly amounts of fuel which ruins your oil or not enough which blows your motor....most shops have a base tune that will get your car running enough to get it to the dyno call the dyno guy and ask him what you can do and i bet he could email you a tune to make it there or hell give you some other advice
Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchi
You can have shift points and gearing ratios built into the TUNE you get or have but it's not an user adjustable item. You can't plug in the tuner and then adjust it yourself, has to be built in with your blower tune from whomever tunes it. At least, with the SCT units you cannot. I don't know about the Diablo or others.
This information is not accurate. If you have the custom tune in your handheld you can adjust shift points, rev limiters, various timing and fuel trims other things as well, you can't build a tune but you can make adjustments, the key is the tune has to be in the handheld. You can't go modifying the shift points on a canned 87 tune and load that in your car because it will overwrite your entire tune. You guys aren't listening to what he is asking.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Get the car tuned

Last edited by smythge; 06-15-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Modular_Madness
Banned

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOk this is beyond a mess.

First the car is a BONE stock 96 GT with a V1 on it.It is NOT tuned!

I have a handheld tuner that i was using BEFORE the supercharger but returned back to stock before installing the supercharger.

All i want to know is if i can use my superchips model 1725 hand held tuner on the 87 octane canned tune to adjust shift points?Not the 91 tune or the 93 tune which both add timing this i know.ALL I WANT TO DO IS ADJUST THE SHIFT POINTS!!!

Either some of you are full of **** or vortechs reps are i dont know which one.But vortech told me it was NOT necessary to have my car tuned in its currect state!I specifically called and talked to them before i ever even started the install.I was told if i had a 99+ mustang id have to mail off my computer to be flashed and then overnighted back to me.I was told until i make the PI heads,cams,and intake swap i was good to go now all of you ay different?

Either way all i want to know is if i dont use anything but the 87 octane setting on my handheld and still run 93 if i can go in and tailor my shift points with no ill effects?

Quick Reply: Anyone using a hand held tuner with a supercharger???