4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new transmission come in tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 PM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

Default new transmission come in tomorrow

Ok guys im getting my new transmission in for my GT tomorrow and its to be installed friday. Its a Aod-e with the 4r70w with PRECISION MASTER OVERHAUL KIT HIGH PERFORMANCE REPROGRAMMING SHIFT KIT INTERMEDIATE CLUTCH PACK REVERSE INPUT DRUM FORWARD INPUT CLUTCH DRUM MODIFIED SUNGEAR TO INCREASE REAR PLANETARY LUBRICATION HIGH PERFORMANCE BAND UPDATED & MODIFIED LOW/REVERSE SERVO & COVER DIRECT CLUTCH DRUM MODIFIED OVERDRIVE SERVO NEW 2-3 ACCUMULATOR NEW UPDATED DOUBLE LIP 3-4 ACCUMULATOR RECALIBRATED VALVEBODY w/UPDATE TV VALVE ASSEMBLY RECALIBRATED VALVE PLATE FOR SHIFT FIRMNESS NEW HIGH FLOW FILTER it also includes a 1650 stall heavy duty converter. so hopefully this will help me out on my launches along with that longing to chirp through gears instead of just rolling through them.

Now with this and the shift frimness adjustment on the SCT tuner what gears do you guys recomend? 4.10s 4.30s or go with 3.73s?

I travel about 15-30min to work mix of highway and in town driving...majorily in town driving since this is my daily driver weekend racer type car

i was going to just go with 4.10s but i remember someone saying that with the 4r70w tranny you can go a lil wilder with your gearing and not sacrifice so much as the older aod-e.....

Anyone that can compare and contrast the noticable differences in the two transmissions would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: new transmission come in tomorrow

ORIGINAL: skunkanova

Ok guys im getting my new transmission in for my GT tomorrow and its to be installed friday. Its a Aod-e with the 4r70w with PRECISION MASTER OVERHAUL KIT HIGH PERFORMANCE REPROGRAMMING SHIFT KIT INTERMEDIATE CLUTCH PACK REVERSE INPUT DRUM FORWARD INPUT CLUTCH DRUM MODIFIED SUNGEAR TO INCREASE REAR PLANETARY LUBRICATION HIGH PERFORMANCE BAND UPDATED & MODIFIED LOW/REVERSE SERVO & COVER DIRECT CLUTCH DRUM MODIFIED OVERDRIVE SERVO NEW 2-3 ACCUMULATOR NEW UPDATED DOUBLE LIP 3-4 ACCUMULATOR RECALIBRATED VALVEBODY w/UPDATE TV VALVE ASSEMBLY RECALIBRATED VALVE PLATE FOR SHIFT FIRMNESS NEW HIGH FLOW FILTER it also includes a 1650 stall heavy duty converter. so hopefully this will help me out on my launches along with that longing to chirp through gears instead of just rolling through them.

Now with this and the shift frimness adjustment on the SCT tuner what gears do you guys recomend? 4.10s 4.30s or go with 3.73s?

I travel about 15-30min to work mix of highway and in town driving...majorily in town driving since this is my daily driver weekend racer type car

i was going to just go with 4.10s but i remember someone saying that with the 4r70w tranny you can go a lil wilder with your gearing and not sacrifice so much as the older aod-e.....

Anyone that can compare and contrast the noticable differences in the two transmissions would be greatly appreciated
Why are you putting in this heavy of a trans with a NPI GT??
Old 09-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: skunkanova

Why are you putting in this heavy of a trans with a NPI GT??
...what he said...
Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 AM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

Heavy of a transmission? 98s had the same tranny....plus mine was giving me issues and the local trans shop quoted me 1000 for the rebuild to stock parts....where as i got a new torque converter and this tranny with the 4r70w gears in it for the same price
Old 09-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Ok, but you're really not making enough power to take advantage of that new trans. It sounds good though. I would say stick with the 4.10's. They're your best all around bet.

I wouldn't use that stall though....1650 is WAY too low... typo maybe?

Stock is 1900 or so.

I would say a 2800 stall would be ideal.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:56 AM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

well, presently im not making that much power.....but trying to work with what i have....ive only had the car 2 months and its come a LONG way when we are talking about power....i think i have a ring problem on the motor.....so when i can get a hold of a shortblock i have a set of PI heads i might be putting on it (if they are still available...the guy that sold them on ebay was in slidell LA.....so im hoping he wasnt TOO screwed by Katrina)....but i plan on going forced induction whenever time/money permits....

plus hell i have a convertible so weight isnt THAT huge of a concern...im already heavy.....i just want it to perform better than what i have now....

and im pretty sure thats what the stall speed is.....it says 1650 but then again stall speed varies and on the shipping info it says 1500-2000 which should be ok for now....will change that out when i get my present converter sent off to get rebuilt to the next motor
Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 AM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

so on that not anyone got a 96-98 shortblock without 150K miles like mine? haha
Old 09-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

You want a 99+ shortblock, trust me.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:29 AM
skunkanova
1st Gear Member

ill take what i can get.....its been kinda hard for me finding a decently priced engine the past couple weeks.....as far as the 98vs99 blocks go.....how do they react to the ecu? i have the sct xcal2 and can pretty much change the specs accordingly can i not? aka keep the 97gt ecu and tune it to a 99gt??
Old 09-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

yep, same block... different pistons and h/c/i.

Quick Reply: new transmission come in tomorrow