4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mods vs MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:04 PM
OldGuy04GT

Default Mods vs MPG

I have been thinking of the best way I can modify an 04GT with as many mods under certain constraints. based on the insanity at the pump atm I want to try to maximize my HP/Torque with the following limitations:

1) The mpg cannot decrease under NORMAL driving conditions,
2) The ability to run regular gas w/o any additives (octane boosters, etc)

All I can come up with is:

CAI
Exhaust (cat-back only)
possibly gears since some folks claim that gear changes don't interfere with mpg
U/D pulleys

And just a sidenote question...I read somewhere that it's a good idea to let your computer reset (disconnect battery terminal for a few mins) after any bolt on mods, etc to allow the computer to reconfigure any changes in A/F mixtures...

Any thoughts?

Old 09-01-2005, 11:24 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mods vs MPG

Supercharger or twin turbo?

If you don't want to spend $$ on gas, trade in your car for a honda civic or leave it stock. No one ever said this was a cheap hobby.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:46 PM
OldGuy04GT

you may have answered my question in more ways than one...sorry for troubling you.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:17 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

No trouble at all. You really aren't going to find mods that will help/improve gas milage. A CAI might help, but anything else will not.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

BTW, if I seemed like an a-hole in my first post, please forgive me. I wasn't trying to be.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:43 AM
OldGuy04GT

the only "a-holes" im upset with are the oil companies right now...I really want to add some serious mods to this car but im going to put them off for now based on what's happening with the oil markets. But I figure I can try to add what I can for now and maybe when things smooth out (if they ever do) then ill be asking you better questions, like how not to ventilate my engine block with a connecting rod
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Blk_96_GT
2nd Gear Member

you could get a intake and a catback and install them, then you could buy some mods and just leave them untill you want to install them when gas goes down or what ever. good luck
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

if you're worried about gas mileage, you should not have bought a v8.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:59 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I have added UDPs and a CAI. My city MPG has jumped from 17.5 to 19.5 (A/C on). I am looking to see more improvements with headers, mid-pipe, and exhaust. I want to advance timing, but not sure if it will hurt my mpg.

blueangelfightr, can I advance timing on 87 octane and will it kill my mpg or not?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
OldGuy04GT

I love my V8....in fact the vehicle I traded for this stang was a Ford Escape SUV that got worse mpg so I actually improved mileage by going from a v6 to a v8 which seems amazing to people that I tell that to. On a recent road trip I got 25.8 mpg bone stock. A few days ago I placed a K/N FIPK on and retested the mpg on the same stretch of highway (150 miles round trip)...mpg was 26.4 which is great! Improved performance and mpg in the same package.

I have no problem with not getting the best mileage out there, in fact id gladly trade 10mpg for that v8 sound any day of the week! The only thing im leery of is that I don't want to add a part and all of a sudden go from 26.4 to 16-18 under normal driving conditions. As far as I can tell from reading these boards, about the only single piece of equipment that has the potential of doing that is a S/C.

Hell, im half tempted to go buy a box on wheels (honda, toyota) and use it for my 55 mile work commute and go ape$hit on the stang and add everything I can to it. Selling that idea to the wife....different story.

Quick Reply: Mods vs MPG