4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Big Block Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Chewievette

Default Big Block Swap

I'm A Newbie!!!
Just thought I'd get that out of the way...
I'm looking to get a Mustang as a Project car, something that I can cruise around in on the weekends and take to the track once in a while.
Not to sound cold or anything but there's about to be a bunch of flood damaged cars on the market and I think that now is the time to make a move. I'd like to get a 99-04 and put a big block in it. I have a 390 and a 9" waiting for rebuild, and I figured that a new mustang would make a pretty sweet home for them. I've been searching the web for a couple of days and I havn't found any mount kits so I'm guessing it's not a popular swap. I can do all the work myself but finding premade parts will certainly expedite the process. I'd really appreciate hearing any thoughts, comments, or criticisms you have. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:49 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Big Block Swap

I think this might be a better time to find a good motor in a trashed body, not the other way around...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Chewievette

Why would that be? Most flood damaged cars that I've looked at have bad interiors and questionable engines but most else is good. Unless you mean the effects from the hurricane in which case I'll take a car with some body damage. I was planning on replacing most of it with fiberglass anyways. as long as the frame isn't tweaked it'll be usable.

Btw: Why was this post moved to 05-06? I'm talking about a 99-04.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:56 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

I'm talking about rust from the inside out, because water gets into (and puddles up/stays in) parts like the dash, floorboards, inside the frame, etc. that were never expected to get wet and have no rust protection.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:09 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

As an example, my grandfather had an Impala (wasn't more than 5 or 10 years old at the time) - no rust issues, California car. He was launching his fishing boat in a freshwater lake with it and either rolled back too fast & couldn't stop on the slimy ramp or he forgot to set the parking brake. Rolled back into the lake & had water up to the windows for a while before they could get it out. About a year later that thing was a nasty old rustbucket parked out back, trailer park style.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Chewievette

Well, I'm not talking about just swapping in my parts and fixing damage, I'm talking project car like straight down to the bare bones. Rust is something I only want to have to deal with once on a car If drilling out spotwelds and rivets is as far as I have to go I'm game. I do have to add though that I may not even get a flood car, if I can find a good deal on a write off in my area I'll jump on it. I just pointed out the flood thing because of the number of cars that are about to hit the market.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Lawman165
1st Gear Member

The salt water from the storm surge is going to wreak havoc to those cars in Louisisana. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:50 PM
gigaglytch

That'd make a nice sleeper car, but I don't think you should of started this topic under 2005 Mustang.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Chewievette

I didn't, I originally started it under street/strip because thats what it'll end up as. I have no clue why it was moved to 2005! I asked about this a little bit ago but apparently no one cares and since I cant do anything about it, here I am.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:05 PM
gigaglytch

oh I see. Interesting...

Quick Reply: Big Block Swap