4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thermostat housing leak, any suggestions??

Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 PM
azactor

Oh, I get it now. The plastic air intake is a part of the housing that the aluminum crossover uses...so it's all one piece.

Found a bunch of new Intake Manifold's (Dorman and others) but they say they can't be used with the Heated PCV Valve, which is what I have. No one I call seems to even know anything about the Heated PCV Valve so they don't have the correct Intake Manifold to sell me. Does anyone know if the FRPP one is good for this?

Also, my buddy (2,000 miles away) has been a mechanic for over 30 years and has never heard of a Heated PCV Valve in anything he's ever repaired. I know that's what I have because I checked mine against what they look like, and what the standard one looks like.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by azactor
Oh, I get it now. The plastic air intake is a part of the housing that the aluminum crossover uses...so it's all one piece.

Found a bunch of new Intake Manifold's (Dorman and others) but they say they can't be used with the Heated PCV Valve, which is what I have. No one I call seems to even know anything about the Heated PCV Valve so they don't have the correct Intake Manifold to sell me. Does anyone know if the FRPP one is good for this?

Also, my buddy (2,000 miles away) has been a mechanic for over 30 years and has never heard of a Heated PCV Valve in anything he's ever repaired. I know that's what I have because I checked mine against what they look like, and what the standard one looks like.
Many newer cars have heated PCV valves, it is not at all uncommon, particularly with the advent of plastic cam covers where condensation in the PCV valve can freeze up in colder climes.

I do not know why Dorman and others claim their manifolds cannot be used with the heated valve? The two are inches apart, have no contact or even any interconnection--the vacuum line for the PCV valve is tapped from the upper plenum...
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

The rear heater hose pipe busted on my manifold a few months ago, so (after unsuccessfully trying to repair it) I got a replacement "FRPP" manifold from a junkyard off a grand marquis for just less than $40, but you have to be careful about which year you get, I don't think they got the PI manifold til 2002. If you go this route, check for cracking around the port holes where radiator fluid is transferred and patch them up with JB Weld, just as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

if anyone would like details on how to properly repair the busted heater hose, message me. I may have screwed mine up, but I know where I went wrong and wouldn't want someone else to go thru the frustration. may write a thread on it later..

Last edited by trailor; 08-13-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
azactor

Thanks to "CliffyK" for all the help. The FRPP works great. I'm still not sure why the parts stores all say the Dorman part won't work...weird! I do think the FRPP is better though, it doesn't look as though it has the "gaskets" that fail. It looks more like one full piece to me.

Had a problem with a leak when I first finished it up. Thought maybe it was the gaskets. Bought a new set. Was getting ready to put them on and there's no leak anymore. Weird!

Be careful you look where the rubber injector hose (the hose between the 2 fuel rails) goes before you take everything apart. Mine got caught underneath the metal fuel line and melted (because the heat cover wasn't in the correct place). I had to buy some "1/4" Fuel Injector Hose" at AutoZone and change it out. Use some hose clamps to be safe. Not sure if this will hold up or not because the OEM hose that was on there is reinforced inside with plastic. Read some other posts on this and everyone said they are using what I bought and it's holding up fine, even after 2 years.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:52 AM
arstone

Default coolant leak

2004 GT- I have been smelling antifreeze but level was fine. Yesterday I was getting on it and it smoked started coming from one side of the housing that the thermostat housing attaches to? is that the crossover for the intake manifold and if so what am I looking at in a repair?
thanks guys..
Old 03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by arstone
2004 GT- I have been smelling antifreeze but level was fine. Yesterday I was getting on it and it smoked started coming from one side of the housing that the thermostat housing attaches to? is that the crossover for the intake manifold and if so what am I looking at in a repair?
thanks guys..
The thermostat housing is part of the crossover (it "crosses over" coolant from the right cylinder head to the left):

What you have is the classic failure mode for the aluminum crossover PI intake, the formed gasket between the crossover and the manifold extension flange has failed--see my post #5 (and others) in this thread.

If you are frugal like me, and meticulous in your work, it can be repaired with JB-Weld--otherwise just buy a new intake manifold and be done with it. Make sure you get the FRPP replacement manifold (it is the same as your '04 came with from the factory).

Do NOT buy, or let a mechanic talk you into, one of the aftermarket units sold by your FLAPS or local jobber supply house...
Old 03-24-2015, 05:19 PM
MonguseAz

I had that happen twice once with the oem intake, replacd it with an updated one whrn I was swappin out the motor the intake once againg was faling where the water tube mounted to the plastic, so I did some looking and found an all aluminum intack that fits the stoce heads. That what I suggest to do with your then as long as you keep anti frezze and distalled water in, it should last a long time.