Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1st and 2nd gear shifting hard

Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 AM
HavocRocker
1st Gear Member

I mean it's not a huge jerking shift and it doesn't make a sound. Don't most high HP cars jerk a little?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
HavocRocker
1st Gear Member

Can anyone else give me some advice?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

in every mustang i've been in that had a stock auto, it shifted smooth. there's only 3 ways i could think where it would clunk in a "good way", the first being a converter. the second would be a tune or chip that re-adjusts some of the values in the ECU to tighten up the shifts. the 3rd would be a modification like the Jmod, which involves removing some springs and drilling some of the valve holes in the valve body- it makes the shifts faster and firmer.

the chances of it having the jmod are unlikely, but still possible.

the other issue is that it could just be dying. i had an old ford taurus which had the same auto trans, and in the cold mornings, it would not shift out of 1st gear until it warmed up, and when it finally did, it did so with a pretty bad clunk.

i would not say a stock 96 GT is a "high HP" car that would have a trans that jerks either.

without more info, its gunna be hard to diagnose. i seriously think you need to take it to a reputable shop. they'll be able to diagnose and fix anything that needs to be done. they could also tell you of other possible problems.

have you checked the fluid?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 AM
HavocRocker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005 View Post
in every mustang i've been in that had a stock auto, it shifted smooth. there's only 3 ways i could think where it would clunk in a "good way", the first being a converter. the second would be a tune or chip that re-adjusts some of the values in the ECU to tighten up the shifts. the 3rd would be a modification like the Jmod, which involves removing some springs and drilling some of the valve holes in the valve body- it makes the shifts faster and firmer.

the chances of it having the jmod are unlikely, but still possible.

the other issue is that it could just be dying. i had an old ford taurus which had the same auto trans, and in the cold mornings, it would not shift out of 1st gear until it warmed up, and when it finally did, it did so with a pretty bad clunk.

i would not say a stock 96 GT is a "high HP" car that would have a trans that jerks either.

without more info, its gunna be hard to diagnose. i seriously think you need to take it to a reputable shop. they'll be able to diagnose and fix anything that needs to be done. they could also tell you of other possible problems.

have you checked the fluid?
Yeah, fluid was red as can be. Not brown/black. Anyway, I'll take it to a shop pronto. Thanks for the advice.