4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01-04 GT or Mach 1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 04:54 AM
Tunerdude

Default 01-04 GT or Mach 1?

Sup everyone. I am a newbie to mustangs. I currently drive a 67 camaro. But I need a daily driver so I am getting a Stang either GT or Mach. I know the differences between the two models, especially the suspension setups. I know the Mach 1 can be fitted with the twin-screw from kb. However, it seams there are more and better supercharger kits out there for the GT. I havent decided between the cent. and twin-screw superchargers yet, I just dont if I want the twins high TQ right off the line. The GTs usually run about 5k less then a Mach. and it seems I can run the mongoose kits on the GTs. I do plan on building around 450HP on a stock motor, and maybe going to forged internals later. I know a Mach is better stock, but for a long-term build, dollar for dollar, which model can I build easier to achieve 400-450 ponies? I like the Machs. Am I totally insane for saying that the GTs have better supercharger kits out? Please help me decide between the two.

P.S Thanks for all the great info.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:03 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 01-04 GT or Mach 1?

Biggest engine difference between the two is that the GT has two valves per cylinder, while the Mach 1 has four. This helps performance a little. A Kenne Bell blower will fit both a GT and a Mach 1 (it would be crazy of them to not make one that fits both, the engines are almost the same, and a larger number of people own a GT vs a Mach 1). In my mind, a twin-screw blower is more on the top end, they are definitely the most expensive.

With a KB blower on an otherwise stock GT, you can throw $5200 at the whole package for a twin screw (no installation of course, but from what I hear, KB gives great instructions on how to install it) and run 9lbs of boost and be at approx 450 RWHP, any more than this and you'll need to change the internals over to forged. After that you can crank up your KB to much higher boost levels and pull over 600 HP with no other additions. This is probably the simplest way to get the horses you want... it will cost about the same for a Mach 1 (assuming you go the KB blower route), but you'll also end up with slightly higher HP (and a higher risk of a connecting rod punching a hole in your block).

A Cobra has 390 HP stock, so you may want to consider that too, internals are already forged... long-term, this is by far the best way to go... they tend to be more than the Mach 1's too.

As for what to buy, a GT will more than do to get you to the horsepower levels that you want, so you can get a GT and a KB blower for the same price as a Mach 1.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:05 PM
JJones_86
2nd Gear Member

Well since your looking for a daily driver, I wouldn't recommend getting a GT and supercharging it, because it will super suck your gas right out the tank. I would go with the mach 1 because they already got some *****, and because they look tight as hell! There's my .02 cents
Old 09-03-2005, 01:21 PM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

Either way which ever car your going to pick a twin screw Kb blower will get you there. I would say go with a Mach 1 cuz they arent as common to see on the road and look pretty damn cool. But if money is the option get the GT and blow it with the rest of your cash.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 PM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

If you r even looking @ a mach1 my guess is the money isn't the issue. Go mach1 my firend. Way better resale value, more power, way cooler. Just do it, Do it.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

http://ststurbo.com/

They're working on kits for the Mustang at the moment. So it shouldn't be much longer.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Tunerdude

I am 50/50 on those sts kits. I had a 00 F-Body Transam, and they had decent power from them. I just dont like that the turbo is located behind the rear axle and it does rain in Cali so a lowered car would have problems. I am leaning towards a Mach 1, they just look so f**king tight. Thanks for the help, and insurance will be cheaper on the GT so its a toss up.

Im also unsure as to get a Twinscrew or just a centrifical. It seams there are better kits out there on the centrifical side.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:17 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Get the mach and don't look back. With a top mount twin screw supercharger like a kenne bell you will have more hp and constant torque throughout the entire power band. But the centifugals have more hp at lower RPM's. So if you want a car for the strip get a centifugal, if you want a fast toy get a kenne bell.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

All I can say is drive the GT and drive the Mach 1. The mach is noticably stronger and you will feel it!!! Plus watching the shaker move when you are womping on it is beautiful!!!

Brian
Old 09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jiggy_One

All I can say is drive the GT and drive the Mach 1. The mach is noticably stronger and you will feel it!!! Plus watching the shaker move when you are womping on it is beautiful!!!

Brian
[sm=hail.gif]

Amen to thet brother!!!!

Quick Reply: 01-04 GT or Mach 1?