MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Slight Rattling from transmission (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/646901-slight-rattling-from-transmission.html)

s94658 07-06-2011 10:53 AM

Slight Rattling from transmission

I just bought an 03 GT and the car is mint and everythig works great but I did however notice a slight rattling. It sounds like an exhaust shield rattling very slightly but I got under the car and it is coming from the tranny.

It only rattles when the car is cold and then as it starts to warm up it only will do it when the clutch pedal is engaged, then when it is completely warmed up stops rattling. Any Ideas?? Bad throw out bearing maybe?

Dan04COBRA 07-06-2011 11:42 AM

Have you looked underneath and tried banging on things to replicate the sound?

What does the car have for a catback? Magnaflow & SLP catbacks are known to have weird vibrations & rattles at the exhaust tips.

s94658 07-06-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA (Post 7608032)
Have you looked underneath and tried banging on things to replicate the sound?

What does the car have for a catback? Magnaflow & SLP catbacks are known to have weird vibrations & rattles at the exhaust tips.

Yes I have gotten under it and tried to replicate it. Couldnt find it, and sounded like coming from trans. I just bought the car and it is completely stock performance wise so stock exhaust.

4v_mach1 07-06-2011 02:17 PM

bad throw out bearing/possibly bad input shaft bearing... if it even exist in our transmission. My mach 1 has the same issue..even after replacing the clutch with a new TOB after 3,000 miles the sound is back. Almost sounds like the fork in the transmission is loose. At first i thought my car had a rod knock during cold start, but as soon as i pressed the clutch pedal the sound went away.

s94658 07-07-2011 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 4v_mach1 (Post 7608188)
bad throw out bearing/possibly bad input shaft bearing... if it even exist in our transmission. My mach 1 has the same issue..even after replacing the clutch with a new TOB after 3,000 miles the sound is back. Almost sounds like the fork in the transmission is loose. At first i thought my car had a rod knock during cold start, but as soon as i pressed the clutch pedal the sound went away.

See now I have the opposite problem. It only really rattles when I engage the clutch. Once the car has been running for a while it seems to go away completely.

s94658 07-07-2011 02:12 PM

Anyone know what is causing this? Throw out bearing? Pilot bearing? Transmission fork?

It is a metal rattle, thought it was just a loose exhaust shield the first time I heard it.

dominant1 07-07-2011 07:42 PM

I just bought a 2004 gt yesterday and i noticed a noise, but it sounds like a pulley noise or a loose heat shield rattle. I do have undersized pulleys but i only hear it briefly under load right after i shift from 1st gear to 2d and then in third, then i don't hear it at all in fourth gear...Any ideas?....i'm going to look under it tomorrow.

dominant1 07-08-2011 06:26 AM

I decided to look at where my small leak is coming from and i found its from the tranny to drive shaft seal and i think the noise maybe a result of the tranny being a little low on fluid. i'm gonna take it to a pro to look at Monday.

dominant1 07-12-2011 09:43 AM

Had a pro look at the problem, he said my leak was coming from the shifter, he wouldn't work on it because it's a steeda tri ax aftermarket. I drove it home took the shifter out and resealed it to the tranny with silicone. There was no sealant residue on the shifter from when originally installed. The previous owner said he did seal it up! Anyway the noise I was hearing isn't showing up as much, I will continue to keep an eye on it!