4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.8 v8 into a mustang??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Bubbaj

Default 5.8 v8 into a mustang??

Hey guys, new on the board here... Name's Bubba...was hoping some of y'all could insight me...

Here's my goal...

I have a 1987 f150.. 4x4 lifted lockers blah blah... It's got a healthy built 5.8 351w...

I was wondering if it's possible to put that engine into one of the 98-04ish mustangs... Preferable a convert. My main concern is it fiting... I'm not too conceded with the wiring since it's carb'd it shouldn't be too hard...

My biggest question is will it fit?? I m sure I'll have to modify the motormounts, but with a decent sized cowl hood... Can it be done? Has it been done here? A project log would be killer....

I'm looking to put that motor into something I'm actually going to use... And putting a 400hp 5.8 into a mustang would be a lot funner than into a scsb pickup...

Thanks for any and all help guys. Much appreciated..

-Bubba
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

It will fit fine, the 95 cobra r even came with one, if you do the swap you will need a k member from a 94-95 5.0 though, and it should drop in and mount up fine.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

and probably some new shocks/springs up front. not only is the block itself heavier, but i'm pretty sure the heads on that beast aren't aluminum
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

+1... also you seem a little unsure of the year breakdowns.

94-95 Sn-95 GTs/Cobras had the 5.0 in em, as stated, you could use the same k-member and possibly motor mounts.

96-98 SN-95 GTs/Cobras had a 4.6L modular motor in them (GT- SOHC Cobra - DOHC) and are still the more rounded looking cars.

99-04 GTs are the boxier ish looking cars( but not as boxy as the 05+) often refered to "New edges" Also equuiped with a sohc (2 valve) 4.6.. there are many differences in trimlines, GT/Saleen/Roush/Mach/Cobra(even year to year in the cobra) so i'm not gonna get into that right now.

It is however possible there was a guy last year who threw a 460 big block into a 99? GT, It was a new edge i know that for sure.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
and probably some new shocks/springs up front. not only is the block itself heavier, but i'm pretty sure the heads on that beast aren't aluminum
From what I have read the weight of an iron block 2v is roughly 500lbs and the weight of a 351 is only maybe 30-50lbs more than that... mebbe even less if the 351 has aluminum heads and intake.

Our engines are down on CI but in sheer mass, we can run with best of them.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

In Texas, you'll never get it to be street legal if you go carb'd which also means you won't be able to carry valid insurance on it if you drive it.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Bubbaj

Originally Posted by LilRoush
In Texas, you'll never get it to be street legal if you go carb'd which also means you won't be able to carry valid insurance on it if you drive it.
Are you saying that because of emissions? Passing inspecting?? I don't see why insurance maters? You can insure anything. As long as it is registered.

Inspection Im not worried about.

Okay, so on to the next questions.. Is anything different in the vert tops to coupes that could hinder this??

What about tranny's... I'd like a 5 speed. I know the 5.0's 5 speed would bolt up... But I don't think I want to go that old of a stand. So would a 5 speed from a 4.6 bolt up??
Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure a standard T-5 would be up to the task of a worked 351W and the bell housing on the 4.6 transmission won't bolt up.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

why would you want to downgrade to a carb?...

just get a 94/95 5.0 and bolt it right in with the fuel injection, itll run 1000X better than a carb and get better mileage...

an alum headed 351W is about 600lbs, the block isnt much heavier than an iron 2V, but the crank uses 3.000" mains which are HUGE and also mean you need to keep the rpms down because of the bearing speed...

also, even removing the AC and everything else you dont need in the front of the car is still gonna be as heavy as the stock, fully equipped 302 that already came in the car.

the only way to make this swap worth it is to gut the car (like ***** to the wall weight reduction) and do a full out 408W, otherwise the increase in weight just isnt worth it, build a 347 with TFS FAC heads and call it a day...

btw ive looked into doing everything youre talking about with my old 95 and just decided on a 331 with a few other goodies

it also ran away from the few 351W notch's around my house, at least until the one guy sprayed his 175 shot
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bubbaj
Are you saying that because of emissions? Passing inspecting?? I don't see why insurance maters? You can insure anything. As long as it is registered.

Inspection Im not worried about.

Okay, so on to the next questions.. Is anything different in the vert tops to coupes that could hinder this??

What about tranny's... I'd like a 5 speed. I know the 5.0's 5 speed would bolt up... But I don't think I want to go that old of a stand. So would a 5 speed from a 4.6 bolt up??
it would be emissions.... you would not be able to get tags... here anyway...

Quick Reply: 5.8 v8 into a mustang??