4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What to replace with clutch install and which to buy?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default What to replace with clutch install and which to buy?

Ok so my TOB started making some noise and I want to be prepared. I read a bunch of stuff about how the Centerforce clutch is the most popular but I wanted to get some input on it. The car (2000 GT) only has basic bolt-ons and the factory clutch is holding ok. So I figure a stage 1 is probably a good choice, but I was wondering which one you guys recommend.

Also I am going to get the Ford Racing TOB unless you guys think there is a better one. I'll also replace the clutch cable (any brand better than another?) and get a Ford Racing pilot bearing, as well as change trans fluid. But is there anything else I should do while everything is apart?

TIA
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I would definitely stick with a new stock clutch cable. People have had a lot of troubles with pretty much every aftermarket cable.

I had a king cobra clutch and i loved it. At the time I was a bolt-on/cams car and it held great.

I also had a spec stage 2 and I didnt really care for it at all. The clutch effort was way too much for what you get.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I would definitely stick with a new stock clutch cable. People have had a lot of troubles with pretty much every aftermarket cable.

I had a king cobra clutch and i loved it. At the time I was a bolt-on/cams car and it held great.

I also had a spec stage 2 and I didnt really care for it at all. The clutch effort was way too much for what you get.
You mean an actual Ford cable?

Also yeah I have a spec stage 2 in my SHO and heard a lot of bad things about them. I only have 4k miles on it and I love it, but I'm worried. Granted completely different car, but still I don't know many people who really like them.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
You mean an actual Ford cable?

Also yeah I have a spec stage 2 in my SHO and heard a lot of bad things about them. I only have 4k miles on it and I love it, but I'm worried. Granted completely different car, but still I don't know many people who really like them.
i love my SPEC...

maybe its just me but ive really never heard anything bad about them?...
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Ive always ran spec with no issues, i would also toss in a new clutch fork and ball pivot while your in there.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Ive always ran spec with no issues, i would also toss in a new clutch fork and ball pivot while your in there.
Do I really need a fork? Those don't typically wear out that bad do they? Also what is the ball pivot?

As far as spec, myself as well as a few people I know had issues with Spec. Now they said it was a bad run of clutches, which is fine, I understand **** happens. But it was their customer service that sucked and they refused to replace clutches that they openly admitted that there was an issue with. So I don't know if I'll ever buy spec again.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

pilot bearing throwout bearing clutch flywheel and maybe a rear main seal if yours seems to be alittle moist...spec is good so is centerforce...dont overdo the clutch get one that holds maybe about 60 to 100 hp and torque then what you currently make....also depends on your plans for the future
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The ball pivot is attacked to the bellhousing its what the fork rides on. Ehh if the fingers are god on it and the ball looks good you can just re grease em. I usually just replace for the 30$ or so it costs.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Just to be clear, I never said SPEC was bad or junk. I've actually read a lot of reviews of the SPEC stage 1, stage 3 and stage 3+ where people really liked them. I had the stage 2... which from what I've read, actually requires more pedal effort than the stage 3 (not sure if it's true or not, all I know is that stage 2 was annoyingly stiff).

Your leg adjusts and you make due, but it's really annoying trying to drive anything else with a lighter or hydraulic clutch because you basically have killed any skill you had with fine tune ability and replaced it with leg squats.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

altho i have 0 miles on my spec, i have pressed it plenty of times, and i found it to be only slightly harder than stock. it also had a different "curve" seemed like it was more like on/off with the tension - instead of being progressively smooth and linear...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to replace with clutch install and which to buy?