MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Oil dipstick swap? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/647601-oil-dipstick-swap.html)

Jimmyblaze22 07-13-2011 10:25 PM

Oil dipstick swap?

Hey everyone, I just joined the site today. I go on the forums all the time but have never actually joined one. But anyway, I have a 98 Mustang gt with stock exhaust manifold. I bought it used and it has an aftermarket dipstick and tube. I can't get an oil reading at all! I put 6 quarts in and nothing on the dipstick. I bought one used at MPS auto salvage and I need to install it. I'm wondering where exactly it bolts to? My aftermarket one is bolted to the master cylinder or something near it. Help appreciated.:icon_monkey:

Silver0911 07-14-2011 01:11 AM

Welcome to the forums

MustangMan00 07-14-2011 08:41 AM

there is one bolt near the header/exhaust manifold i beleive, and it just pulls out of the oil pan

sn95_331_GT_ yellow 07-14-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MustangMan00 (Post 7617601)
there is one bolt near the header/exhaust manifold i beleive, and it just pulls out of the oil pan

on an NPI it bolts to the valve covers

Blackvenom01 07-15-2011 05:24 AM

^^^ what they said very easy to change just gotta wiggle it around to get it out they can flex alittle too

the aftermarket one he put on is prolly to long or something

Jimmyblaze22 07-15-2011 08:15 PM

Thanks, I'm gonna swap it tmrro.

Jimmyblaze22 07-16-2011 03:01 PM

I've got a couple questions. I have a 98 gt with some minor mods. I bought the car from a guy who didn't tell me much about it. First, I can't get an oil reading no matter what I do. I have an aftermarket oil dipstick and tube. But I've bought a used stock one and measured and they're both the same length. So I don't think that could be the issure. In fact, the aftermarket one pulled out and went back in very easily, too easily I think. Should I throw some rtv gasket maker on it b4 I put it back in? So, the only thing I can assume is that it's the oil pan itself. I don't know if it's an aftermarket one that holds 7 qts or something. IDK? I can't tell. But I would def like to know how much oil is in my car! What should I do? And next, While my car is at idle, I hear a really fast tick...tick..tick...tick. mainly coming from the passenger side valve cover. Although, I can also hear it underneath the car too. Hoping it's not a piston or rod or something like that. It sounds too fast of a ticking to be just one piston though. Idk. I wanna pop the valve cover off and look around but it doesn't look like Ill have clearance. Do I have to jack the engine up to have clearance? What could the noise be? and what should I look for when the cover is off? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Blackvenom01 07-17-2011 10:39 AM

might be the wrong dipstick rather then the tube...should be like 6.5 quarts...and that tick could unfortunently be a valve tick maybe from lack of oil or just ran hard

not you shouldnt have to jack the engine on a gt...i know you do on the cobras though

Jimmyblaze22 07-17-2011 08:55 PM

thanks. Would I hear a valve tick pretty loud even underneath the engine too? Don't really know what to look for if I pop the valve cover.

Blackvenom01 07-18-2011 05:21 AM

ya you can.. find another mustang and measure the stick make sure thats right...look to see if its a aftermarket oil pan...make sure your not loosing oil from somwhere i.e oil cooler seal blowing by or something like that...if all looks normal then fill till it reads on the stick