4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch cable replacement/ TOB tension

Old 07-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch cable replacement/ TOB tension

I need to replace my clutch cable it is stretched beyond the limit of the stock ratchet assy. Ive heard from several people to only use the OEM cable, how much tension needs to be on the clutch arm to keep the TOB working correctly and not to spin on the pressure plate. As of now I can push the clutch arm in 1/4-3/8" with just my hand it makes the squeaking go away. If I replace it with a stock cable and reset the stock ratchet how do I set tension? or can I use OEM cable with a fire wall adjuster?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

1/8 to 1/4 inch of play should be good. You can use the OEM cable with the MM firewall adjuster not sure about the others.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmitchell373
I need to replace my clutch cable it is stretched beyond the limit of the stock ratchet assy. Ive heard from several people to only use the OEM cable, how much tension needs to be on the clutch arm to keep the TOB working correctly and not to spin on the pressure plate. As of now I can push the clutch arm in 1/4-3/8" with just my hand it makes the squeaking go away. If I replace it with a stock cable and reset the stock ratchet how do I set tension? or can I use OEM cable with a fire wall adjuster?
Question , What causes you to think this? TOB chirp ?Soft pedal? I have no clue I guess until they leave you stranged
My 99 GT chirps quiet abit now more often then it use too 2 years ago.But if I touch my pedal light pressure it goes away.

Just curious if maybe my cable is stretched , just looking for the signs on how to tell if cable seen its days

TY

Last edited by Repzard; 07-17-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

yes, it makes noise and when u slightly touch the pedal it goes away.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

if you pull up on the pedal (its supposed to click.. i can't ever hear it though), then push it down to the floor, the tension should automatically reset itself. if you have a worn "ratchet," or whats better known as a clutch quadrant, it probably won't work. myself and many other on here would recommend getting a replacement (metal) quadrant and firewall adjuster before opting for a cheaply made adjustable cable. steeda, upr, mm all make pretty decent quadrants, and i think the upr quick-click firewall adjuster is pretty sweet. these two mods are pretty cheap, will probably cost you abt $50, and they're a pretty good preventative maintenance measure, as your stock plastic clutch quadrant will wear down and fail over time.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
if you pull up on the pedal (its supposed to click.. i can't ever hear it though), then push it down to the floor, the tension should automatically reset itself. if you have a worn "ratchet," or whats better known as a clutch quadrant, it probably won't work. myself and many other on here would recommend getting a replacement (metal) quadrant and firewall adjuster before opting for a cheaply made adjustable cable. steeda, upr, mm all make pretty decent quadrants, and i think the upr quick-click firewall adjuster is pretty sweet. these two mods are pretty cheap, will probably cost you abt $50, and they're a pretty good preventative maintenance measure, as your stock plastic clutch quadrant will wear down and fail over time.
Thanks for the info.
I pretty much knew what you stated.
Just wanted to know signs of a stretch cable beside TOB chirp.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Thanks for the info.
I pretty much knew what you stated.
Just wanted to know signs of a stretch cable beside TOB chirp.
I know, i was sharing the info with OP
Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I did the pull up. its either maxed out or worn to far. I will order both tomorrow. The firewall adjuster will go in with the stock cable tho?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmitchell373
I did the pull up. its either maxed out or worn to far. I will order both tomorrow. The firewall adjuster will go in with the stock cable tho?
the UPR quick-click firewall adjuster is intended for use ONLY with the stock cable, as are most from what i understand. the only modification you hafta do is cut the rubber grommet that is around the stock cable and is situated in the firewall. also, on the quadrant, i would grind down ALL the edges with a file, just to ensure that they won't rub against your cable and cause it fray.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM
sierralx

Steeda cable is good upgrade.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch cable replacement/ TOB tension