4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OE Parts?? Intake Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Justin00GT

Default OE Parts?? Intake Tube?

So where can I find a place like Autohausaz.com for Fords? They sell Ford stuff, but not in the quantities they do BMW stuff (what I used to order from them for).

I've searched here and all the places listed either sell more mods than maintenance stuff, or their sites are set up terribly.

I need a few things, but cannot for the life of me (even via Google) find a place to get the stock intake rubber tube. The long one. Looking to re-do the intake tube, PCV valve, and crankcase breather hose/vac hose fittings.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Try Napa or Rockauto
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justin00GT
I need a few things, but cannot for the life of me (even via Google) find a place to get the stock intake rubber tube. The long one.
why would you want that and not an aftermarket tube?? if you're really obssesed with stock, i would personally recommend a junkyard or ebay..
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

What you SHOULD do is pick up a stock intake tube from one of these kids who thinks their bbk intake is actually doing something.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Latemodelrestoration.com has the stock intake tube I believe.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Nearly all aftermarket intakes offer no improvement over the OEM unit, many will reduce power at some RPM ranges.

I have seen several of the cheap assemblies purchased on eBay that were made with 3" tubing! How one feels that using 3" (76.2mm) ID tubing with an 80mm MAF constitutes an "enhancement" escapes me...
Old 07-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Justin00GT

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Try Napa or Rockauto
Thanks, RockAuto had a nice site. Didn't locate the stock rubber intake inlet, but I might try calling to see if they stock it.

Originally Posted by trailor
why would you want that and not an aftermarket tube?? if you're really obssesed with stock, i would personally recommend a junkyard or ebay..
Well I don't want another used one if I stay with the stock piece. I just want a nice new one with soft rubber. And clean on the inside. My whole intake system is a mess from a failed PCV valve, oil everywhere.

I am not against a aftermarket tube, it looks like it would be cheaper and look better, but as stated below, I've heard it only adds to heat sink and doesn't add any power.

With that said, I could heat wrap one, do you know of any place that sells just the tube? I already have a air hog filter.

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
What you SHOULD do is pick up a stock intake tube from one of these kids who thinks their bbk intake is actually doing something.
Yeah, if it was from a low mile, newer GT, that would be a good idea.

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Latemodelrestoration.com has the stock intake tube I believe.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Nearly all aftermarket intakes offer no improvement over the OEM unit, many will reduce power at some RPM ranges.

I have seen several of the cheap assemblies purchased on eBay that were made with 3" tubing! How one feels that using 3" (76.2mm) ID tubing with an 80mm MAF constitutes an "enhancement" escapes me...
Thank you. I just want to ensure I get a piece that doesn't take away power, that would be a silly idea.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

certain models, such as K&N and JLT, use hard plastic or PVC piping, which would not increase heat soak, and may actually cause temps to be slightly cooler. JLT has a very large pipe (biggest in the market that i've found thus far), which, if intending to stay mostly stock, probably won't be necessary, and can hurt you to some degree as cliffy stated. if, however, you plan on increasing airflow in the intake manifold and heads, that may be a better option. but, and correct me if i'm wrong, i think K&N's is pretty close to stock size.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Justin00GT

Originally Posted by trailor
certain models, such as K&N and JLT, use hard plastic or PVC piping, which would not increase heat soak, and may actually cause temps to be slightly cooler. JLT has a very large pipe (biggest in the market that i've found thus far), which, if intending to stay mostly stock, probably won't be necessary, and can hurt you to some degree as cliffy stated. if, however, you plan on increasing airflow in the intake manifold and heads, that may be a better option. but, and correct me if i'm wrong, i think K&N's is pretty close to stock size.
Good info, thanks. Know any solid places for the K&N set up?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The JLT, and the K&N, are perhaps the only units that stand any chance of working better than the OEM intake--as they are both designed with a clear understanding of what goes on in an intake tube¹.

The JLT's are nicely made, however K&N's construction and choice of materials have never impressed me.

---------------------------------------------------
¹ - The air flow in the intake tube is not a continuous stream, but rather a series of pulses (with negative pressure heads, near ambient pressure bodies, and positive pressure tails) whose frequency is proportional to engine speed. The shape of the tube can be designed to enhance this flow at certain frequencies and provide for better aspiration--both JLT's and K&N's (and Ford's) engineers know this and design accordingly.

All of the others that are just straight-walled pieces of tubing do nothing to enhance the flow dynamics; that is why they can actually rob power at certain engine speeds and loads.