4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED RECOMMENDATIONS ON THESE LOWERING SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Cool NEED RECOMMENDATIONS ON THESE LOWERING SPRINGS

thinking about getting these lowering springs

http://www.americanmuscle.com/forac.html

and me and a buddy at work are going to put them in but do i need the optional isolators or can i use the ones already on there? and somebody told me to put new shocks in it too while im at it but i mean i only got 36k on the car so i think the shocks should work with the struts for awhile. what you guys think?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Those springs would work. If it was me, I'd go with H&R springs. I wouldn't put the iso's in since it'll slightly give the car more of a drop. The stock shocks/struts should be fine for a while.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go the coil overs route. It all depends on your plans for the car and the amount of funds you have available for the car. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

H&R's, no isos, stock shocks/struts. Do it. Thats what my setup is.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

H&R's look amazing, but it just depends on how low you want to go. Don't forget you will need CC plates. I did iso's with my b-springs just because I felt like it and I changed my struts and shocks since I was taking them off anyway.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

You won't need C&C plates with those springs. With your mileage stock shocks and struts and stock isos will be fine.

Honestly though i agree with these guys about the H&R's. They do look the best IMO. I guess it depends on your goals.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

I hear of a lot of people who get the C springs that end up pullin it back apart and cuttin coils off, and the drop is okay, but you'll be craving more.. AM has the H&Rs on sale right now check them out
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
H&R's, no isos, stock shocks/struts. Do it. Thats what my setup is.
Did you have to adjust camber w the new springs? I want to lower my stang too. I am only concerned with the springs and not installing new struts and shocks.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

The proper way to lower a vehicle, so that you are not wearing through tires prematurely and damaging other suspension components, is to do the following:
1. Springs(isos are optional but help immensely with ride comfort. They will raise the car about .25" as opposed to not using them, however)
2. Caster/camber plates
3. shocks/struts(lowered cars need shocks/struts will less travel, so they do not bottom out)
4. extended ball-joints(this will prevent the lowered car from pulling ball-joints out of the front control arms due to bad suspension angles)
5. bumpsteer kit(with the car lowered the suspension has less travel room and over bumps, where the suspension compresses or rebounds, it will want to pull or jerk the steering wheel out of your hand)

With that being said, some people can't/don't want to do all of that at once, which is fine, but in the long run, that should ALL be done for the best handling and safest "lowering" of the car.
To start out with, I would recommend springs, caster/camber plates and ball-joints(if possible, a bumpsteer kit, too), that way you do not have to have the car realigned when you go to install shocks/struts.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMStanger
The proper way to lower a vehicle, so that you are not wearing through tires prematurely and damaging other suspension components, is to do the following:
1. Springs(isos are optional but help immensely with ride comfort. They will raise the car about .25" as opposed to not using them, however)
2. Caster/camber plates
3. shocks/struts(lowered cars need shocks/struts will less travel, so they do not bottom out)
4. extended ball-joints(this will prevent the lowered car from pulling ball-joints out of the front control arms due to bad suspension angles)
5. bumpsteer kit(with the car lowered the suspension has less travel room and over bumps, where the suspension compresses or rebounds, it will want to pull or jerk the steering wheel out of your hand)

With that being said, some people can't/don't want to do all of that at once, which is fine, but in the long run, that should ALL be done for the best handling and safest "lowering" of the car.
To start out with, I would recommend springs, caster/camber plates and ball-joints(if possible, a bumpsteer kit, too), that way you do not have to have the car realigned when you go to install shocks/struts.

ok cool thanks guys and does american muscle sell the ball joints and cc plates and bumpsteer? if so links please!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by luke1333
ok cool thanks guys and does american muscle sell the ball joints and cc plates and bumpsteer? if so links please!
We certainly do, check them out here:
Ball-joints: http://www.americanmuscle.com/stx2bajokit.html
CCplates: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...ates-9904.html
Bumpsteer kit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/stbukit94b.html

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions in the future!

Quick Reply: NEED RECOMMENDATIONS ON THESE LOWERING SPRINGS