4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Number of issues with 03 cobra vert help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

Shot in the dark but my vert makes noise that I thought was coming from the struts when it is cold outside. It was the hook connections for the top near the a pillar. squeaking / thumping matched when that side was going over bumps. I guess the cold and the contraction put enough slop in the connection. Does it make the same noise with the top down?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
humansieve
1st Gear Member

The roof leak is a very common problem for a stang that yr. even if the vert is maintained well. Its coming from a wear spot behind the stretch material (looking from inside). The easiest way to find it I think is to have some one shine a light from the outside at night under the top layer of vinyl just about where the defrost wire is. You'll spot it immediatley. I cut a small patch (I traced the rim of a shot glass) of black vinyl and spread a layer of Permatex "Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant" on one side of the round patch, placed it over the wear spot and smoothed it out over the natural folds in the top. I let it dry for a day and no more leaks and sloshing or towels to sop up the mess. The sealant was purchased at Advance A/P a 3 oz. size tube for about $6.00(item #81158) . You can barely see the repair at all and it was all done inside and behind the stretchy trim piece. Do not get stressed about this even though it seems like a big problem at first its a real easy fix! Just make sure you follow the natural contours in the roof and get a good seal on the patch. The permatek stays flexable. If I can figure out how to upload a photo I'll post the repair, No worries enjoy the Vert.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM
rudyr123

Originally Posted by Demonhead
I took a closer look at your cobra and noticed your front wheels are pretty close to your fenders. Maybe they might be scraping? Look for tire wear on the outer edge and under your fender for wear. You might need to get your fenders rolled.
I think it's just the angle I have plenty of clearance behind the wheel. I'm going to take the car into the shop and see if they can do any tests.

Originally Posted by 02GTman
That is a beautiful car, was it in an accident? That may explain some of your problems.
Thank you, and nope the car fax was completely clean.

Originally Posted by smashten
Shot in the dark but my vert makes noise that I thought was coming from the struts when it is cold outside. It was the hook connections for the top near the a pillar. squeaking / thumping matched when that side was going over bumps. I guess the cold and the contraction put enough slop in the connection. Does it make the same noise with the top down?
Yeah, the sound is still there even with the top down. I'm thinking it may be the struts.

Originally Posted by humansieve
The roof leak is a very common problem for a stang that yr. even if the vert is maintained well. Its coming from a wear spot behind the stretch material (looking from inside). The easiest way to find it I think is to have some one shine a light from the outside at night under the top layer of vinyl just about where the defrost wire is. You'll spot it immediatley. I cut a small patch (I traced the rim of a shot glass) of black vinyl and spread a layer of Permatex "Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant" on one side of the round patch, placed it over the wear spot and smoothed it out over the natural folds in the top. I let it dry for a day and no more leaks and sloshing or towels to sop up the mess. The sealant was purchased at Advance A/P a 3 oz. size tube for about $6.00(item #81158) . You can barely see the repair at all and it was all done inside and behind the stretchy trim piece. Do not get stressed about this even though it seems like a big problem at first its a real easy fix! Just make sure you follow the natural contours in the roof and get a good seal on the patch. The permatek stays flexable. If I can figure out how to upload a photo I'll post the repair, No worries enjoy the Vert.
Thank you for the advice! I'm going to make this a project this weekend. Thanks again!!

Last edited by rudyr123; 08-12-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM
rudyr123

Sigh.... Now I noticed my rear driver side sits a good inch lower than my passenger rear. I originally though it was my driveway but when I took it to work I noticed it from a distance. Maybe this is where the noise I'm hearing is coming from? Springs most likely have to be replaced right?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM
02GTman
3rd Gear Member

So, your saying the car has been in an accident?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by rudyr123
Sigh.... Now I noticed my rear driver side sits a good inch lower than my passenger rear. I originally though it was my driveway but when I took it to work I noticed it from a distance. Maybe this is where the noise I'm hearing is coming from? Springs most likely have to be replaced right?
About this, my car is also a little off in the rear...by doing the 'fist' test, my hand doesn't really fit as snug in the wheel gap of the rear driver side compared to the rear passenger side.

Both our issues could be the springs settled kind of messed up from jacking up the rear at some point, as I do not think my car has been in an accident, but my car doesn't quite have an inch difference IIRC (never measured)..
Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM
rudyr123

Originally Posted by 02GTman
So, your saying the car has been in an accident?
Whoops sorry, meant the car fax was completely clean. Had two previous owners
Originally Posted by 99GTvert
About this, my car is also a little off in the rear...by doing the 'fist' test, my hand doesn't really fit as snug in the wheel gap of the rear driver side compared to the rear passenger side.

Both our issues could be the springs settled kind of messed up from jacking up the rear at some point, as I do not think my car has been in an accident, but my car doesn't quite have an inch difference IIRC (never measured)..
I did the same thing the amount of fingers don't fit on the other side.. I'm going to take measurements todays and I'll report back here. I think my shocks might just be shot.