4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

COP Burning!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM
rjtantillo

Exclamation COP Burning!!! Help

2001 Saleen 4.6L Supercharger - this car sat for 2 years, I bought it and so far changes the fuel pump, put in new plugs, but other wise the car runs very well. After I changed the pugs (shortly) it started to have a misfire in of all places cylinder#2 ( under the throttle body) I though since was so hard to get the plug in that maybe I cracked it, new plug, ran good for about 25 mile then misfire again. Moved the COP to another cylinder, and that seem to be the problem. New COP car ran fine for about 15 miles and started to smell a burning smell. Pop the hood, damn things ON FIRE. Limped it home, burnt the COP and the pig tail.
Ohm'd wires out the seem to be the same as the other wires going to the other COP's. Check to see if there was a short with a continouity test, no short. Turned the key to the on position, the wires are getting 12v just like all the others going to the COP's. I thought maybe it has to do with when the car is driving, maybe there is a short intermittently so I traced the wires pack back the best I could and found only 1 spot that there could be a problem, taped it up real good and until I can get another COP and pigtail next week I won't know. ANY OTHER IDEAS FOR ME TO CHECK???? HELP I'M DIEING HERE!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Is it possible that the plug has failed to some extent and hot gasses are escaping up into the boot/COP?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

i thought this was about burning cops....lol...i am so tired.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The COPs will overheat if they are dumping their full charge at each firing event because of bad boots or a short at the secondary output--or if the primary is being continuously powered because of a short to ground on the negative side (the pink/white wire on #2) of the COP primary winding.

What was the colour code on the wire you found to be suspect?

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-01-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If the cop was on fire, my first step would be throw it in the trash and start new.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
If the cop was on fire, my first step would be throw it in the trash and start new.
+1; I assumed that went without saying, but worth clarification nonetheless...
Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by cliffyk
+1; I assumed that went without saying, but worth clarification nonetheless...
Hehe Cliffy I knew for sure you meant it, but ive had locals that can't clarify anything, such as a local reusing spark plugs from an old motor that got smashed by pistons into a brand new motor..............
Old 08-02-2011, 05:38 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

It looks like the OP is following this one more than here:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ning-help.html
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

He's getting good advice from the "wmburns" fellow, doesn't seem to be following any of it though...
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
rjtantillo

Turns out the problem was a short in the wire thats goes to that COP. The bundles of wires that sit behind the supercharger was sitting on top of the part of the ERG valve that comes up from the exhaust. The black corrigated plastic had worn off and the wire was touching the metal of the tube. Thanks for all the help!!

Quick Reply: COP Burning!!! Help