4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking to lower...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Default Looking to lower...opinions?

Im looking to lower my '01 Gt Vert. I need opinions on springs and whether i need a bump steer kit, camber plates and P/S offset bushings. Im only looking to lower it about 1.5-1.75". nothing crazy. Just need to know what i need to do and what i can get away without doing.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Well for reference, when i had my pro kit i was fine. Got an alignment and was good to go. Then i went with the super sports. That dropped it quite a bit more so i added a bump steer kit and c&c plates to get it to align properly.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

How low did you go with the prokit? what brand? I am also curious if loiering will change the tracking of my car. The stock suspension wagon ruts alot , seams in concrete are very noticeable; my car follows them quite a bit.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:09 AM
MrTDR04
1st Gear Member

I think he is talking about an Eibach Pro Kit. The springs will give you a nice stance yet not make you have to go through dips sideways and there are always other ways to use those springs and still go lower. I have Sportlines with Steeda X-2 ball joints that dropped the front another 1/2" and Adj. rear lower control arms by Maximum Motorsports to drop the rear a bit more. But if you don't want to go through camber plates and bump steer kits go for the Pro Kit.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Thanks! I do want to do the camber plates and bumpsteer kits, but i dont want to HAVE to do them at the same time as lowering my car. I would like to do them later on, money ya know
Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

You wouldnt HAVE to do c/c plates and bumpsteer if you got the Super Sports but later down the road you probably would need too. at least getting it aligned will save your tires and what not because the super sports are one of the most aggressive drops and there specs are the drop your looking for (1.75 front and 1.5 rear.) Ask PurpleIcedGT how he likes them...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yes i ran the Eibach Pro-Kit for about 3 years (no C&C plates or anything) with no uneven tire wear. The tracking of your car will be determined by how well the car is aligned. Get a good alignment, and tracking will be fine. Also remember that wider tires will cause your car to wonder more over uneven surfaces.

If you want something more aggressive than the Pro-Kit then it's a wise idea to do C&C plates, but not totally necessary.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I will be getting the plates and bumpsteer kits eventually, i want it to be right. I still have the stock 17" wheels and tires, but eventually will be upgrading them too.

What does everyone think about the steering rack offset bushings? The worth the trouble?

edit: I think that the eibach pro spring kit will be a good start...

Last edited by stevednmc; 08-19-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I bought the offset steering rack bushings, but found out they weren't necessary after i installed the super sport springs.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

For reference of the SS W/ 17s, here is my car. 245/45/17s out fronts, and 275/40/17s out back. Stock shocks and struts, did CC plates because I had the extra cash. I dont have to go through dips sideways, and I dont have any rubbing issues, I've only dragged on one speed bump, and its because when I had my exhaust re welded, the guy let it turn so it hangs about a 1/2 inch lower than normal, and I went kind of fast and came off the backside on the brakes pretty aggressively.. (complete accident.)