4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pi Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 8111870a
I did my PI swap with engine in car.
Didnt touch motor mounts, brake booster or anything non-head related.
Shorty headers are no problem when pulling heads. Get a flexible oil dipstick to save the hassle of reinstalling stock tube.
Good luck
yeah i took all that crap off my car lol

idk what everyone bitches about the dip sticks for (?) mine came out and what in just fine...

gigittygigitty
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Jimmyblaze22

Oh, sweet! Doesn't sound too bad. I've done cams so the heads are just under them, so I'm sure I can do it. The stage 3 p/p Pi heads from livernois look nice and thats what I wanna throw in. I'm thinking about nitrous, but I don't know if thats something that I'll use w/o getting *** in trouble on the street. haha!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:02 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

if youre gonna spend money on porting Nick at MHS gets my money all day long
Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Jimmyblaze22

Thanks for the advice. I've thought it over and decided I'd do the head swap in the spring, but I am gonna upgrade/change my exhaust system very soon. Thinking about the ceramic BBK L/T headers, Catted shorty h-pipe, and the american thunder flowmaster catback system. I currently have stock manifolds that are rusted to hell, an X-pipe which I'm not sure the brand, and an SLP catback, with the loudmouth resonators. So I'm guessing the X-pipe might be SLP too. I bought the car used and the guy I bought it from didn't tell me much about the exhaust. I know SLP catback is a really good brand, but I wanna upgrade the whole system and I like how flowmasters sound. Any input on how this setup might work for me??? Good power, good sound???
Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

go with MAC longtubes, a VRS catted X pipe and keep the SLP's...

why MAC?

the BBK's have a DENT in them so clear the steering shaft... a dent... does that sound like a good idea?

personally, i think the combo i listed is one of THE best sounding under load, so it gets my vote time and time again, except on my car cause right now im very broke and all my **** was on sale lol
Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 AM
MrTDR04
1st Gear Member

My $.02 would have to agree but only on the tests that shorts just are not worth it all that time and work for so little at least long tubes would show you an impact when you put your foot into it.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Jimmyblaze22

Thanks. Yeah I've heard that shorties aren't worth it at all since you get no benefit from them. The only benefit I would get is replacing my rusted out stockers. But I think I'm gonna have a shop do it and bring them any special instructions that the headers need to be installed. Should I research a shop that has a track record of doing these things or should I just take their word that if they say they can install them, then they can. I don't know how many shops out there are familiar with custom work like this. There is a shop with a dyno about 15 mins from me, and they do work on race engines. I was thinking about going there but when I called for a ballpark figure price quote, they said "however long it takes, is how much it will cost". Yeah, right!!! They could call me back and say it took 20 hrs of labor and I'm screwed. Another shop told me around $750. What's the usual time it should take to install these?? And one side question: Do I need Higher than 21#/hr injectors and a brand new stock fuel pump to run nitrous???? I had the dealer replace my fuel pump because it was making a very loud high pitched noise from the gas tank then finally the car wouldnt run. but anyway, the pump and sending unit cost $450.00 and the same for labor. Isn't that expensive???
Old 08-23-2011, 01:59 PM
MrTDR04
1st Gear Member

I couldn't tell you shop prices but I will call around here and see what I find. I do all my work for bolt on stuff like that. Long tubes are not easy and do take time but well worth it. As for your nitrous question it depends on how big you go as well as are you planning a wet or dry shot?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Jimmyblaze22

I don't have a garage where I live, it's a townhouse. I'm very mechanically skilled and have done cams and intake manifold and numerous other bolt ons, but am not sure I would be able to drop the K-member myself. I'm sure once thats off, the rest is just bolting the headers in place. Is dropping a k-member a very hard job?? I am def gonna do the nitrous setup myself and confident I can do it. I'm gonna get a wet shot system. Probably the Zex nozzzle system from American Muscle. Is a purge kit necessary if I don't plan on racing??? Yup, just wanna know about the k-member and the nitrous. I already have an slp x-pipe and slp catback. But I want a whole new setup so I'm getting the BBK ceramic l/t's, shorty h-pipe(want a new sound), and magnaflow magnapack catback. Sound good???
Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Jimmyblaze22

So what's the scoop on the ptv clearance issue? can I run comp stage II cams in pi heads with a nPi block? right now I've got pi cams in it(BTW, didn't take front cover off to do the job, I used the Anderson tool and it worked great). will comps give me a good boost in hp compared to pi's? thanks. really appreciate all the input.

Quick Reply: Pi Swap