4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch cable

Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Default clutch cable

just had a manual trans put in the car yesterday. forgive me because i've never driven one of these cars with a manual, so i have no basis for comparason. the clutch pedal is all the way up (which doesn't sound right, because on the stock quadrant, it says to realign it you lift up on the pedal). the guy that did my install said that the cable BARELY fit, but it did fit. the firewall adjuster is screwed all the way in, and the cable barely fit. as soon as you push the clutch in, it immediately releases. my concern is that it is slightly pulling on the clutch and will wear it out. here's my setup:

-TR3650 out of an 02 in my 03 GT
-spec stage 1 clutch
-lightweight flywheel (not sure what brand, bought it never used from craigslist
-BBK quadrant & firewall adjuster
-FRPP clutch cable

any suggestions? i just want to be able to give the clutch cable a little more slack for piece of mind. i didn't want to get the steeda one because of the horror stories that i hear about them stretching.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If there is no free play in the pedal then the cable is too tight, can you get a photo of the firewall adjuster as installed in your car?

I ask because I have seen some installed without cutting the OEM plastic clip off the firewall end of the cable outer sheath--this will cause it to be too tight as you describe...
Old 08-13-2011, 07:39 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

I'm at shock trauma wig family so it may take a bit for me to get pictures. Where exactly should I take the pic, from the inside of the car, or under the hood.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Under the hood...
Old 08-13-2011, 11:07 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

just went out and snapped a pic with my iphone. how does it look? (pic's huge so i linked it instead of IMG tags)

Under hood shot
Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Looks like it was done properly.

What I propose is a horrible solution, as it's a PITA to change the quadrant and costs you more money, nonetheless using Steeda's 2-hook, or UPR's 3-hook quadrant would probably let you get the cable adjusted correctly...
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I never seem to be able to get a double hook to work with a modified stock cable, always end up needing a triple hook from UPR, seen it with 4 cars already.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Looks like it was done properly.

What I propose is a horrible solution, as it's a PITA to change the quadrant and costs you more money, nonetheless using Steeda's 2-hook, or UPR's 3-hook quadrant would probably let you get the cable adjusted correctly...
it's never horrible if it's right. i don't mind spending more money as long as it's correct. i'm in this deep, might as well spend another $30 on another quadrant lol. i was thinking my only solution was to buy a different cable, so i'm glad that i have the option to buy a different quadrant. i never knew that the ones with mutliple hooks were different mounting locations, i just thought that it was designed differently than the one solid piece design that i have.

i think i'd rather get the 3 hook just to give myself the added adjustment. hell, i'd get a 4 hook if i could find one. i think i'm going to get the UPR 3 hook style, there's one in blue for $24 on ebay.

Last edited by IRSmart; 08-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I have the UPR Tripple and it was perfect. Im using the center hook with a OEM cable with 110k miles of stretch on it.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I like your attitude!

Before you install the new quadrant break all the sharp edges of the cable groove and at the barrel end sockets--I did the sides of the groove but neglected to make sure the exit from the barrel socket was radiused and it cut through my stock cable.

It took it 70k miles for this to happen, and I was right up the street from my house when it did, however it would not have broken if I has properly radiused the quadrant--read more here...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch cable