4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tranny Instal HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Tranny Instal HELP!!

ok guy ive been at it for about 2 hours now, i have my new ram hdx clutch installed and im all ready to get this finished with but i can't get my trans back in for the life of me, its a TR3650 on my 03GT, i have a tranny jack im using but i can't get it high enough to clear the clutch fingers to get the spline into the shaft, the top of the bell housing is hitting the frame of the car and i can't get it to go any higher to clear, ive tried going at an angle several times and that didn't help either, any help guys would be much appreciated thanks!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Try jacking up the front of the engine, under the crank dampener for example, to get the angle of the engine down in the back. With the trans off there is nothing to keep the engine from tipping forward.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

hmm yeah never thought about that!! ill deff. try that tomorrow, that should help me get a better angle at it, wheres the best place to lift the engine from with a jack??
Old 09-02-2011, 02:15 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

any spot that will pivot it up and still be secure and not damage anything. You may need to use a block of wood, watch to see that it won't slip off when your matting up the trans.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

yeah i just checked the front sway bar is in the way, without removing that i don't see anyway i would be able to get at the front of the engine anywhere, damn everyone said installing the trans would be easier than taking it out, i took the whole trans out in 4 hours, im already 3 hrs into try to just get the trans on lol
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

try and see if a piece of 2x4 will fit past it and then jack up on that. if you have an engine hoist or a come-along that you can lift the front up with that will work as well. Last idea for the night - take off the bell housing and rest the trans in the clutch letting the weight of the trans pull the engine down. Then find a way to secure it in that position before taking out the trans and putting the bell housing back on.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I always just use a block of wood and jack on the crank pulley.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

^^^^ Like Uber said.You can stuff a block of wood in firewall tunnel to make engine angle down more. Then wiggle the s*** out of it till spline slips into place.

Ps..Im in the market for a clutch for my 97 Cobra,how are those RAM clutches?

Im leaning more toward Spec or KC but would like to hear how RAM clutch perform.If you could give me some feed back on your RAM once its in.

TY and GL
Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Yeah once its in ill let u know bro ill be attempting to fit the trans back in tomorrow hopefully with better results
Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I always just use a block of wood and jack on the crank pulley.
This ^^^

Quick Reply: Tranny Instal HELP!!