4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New (used) 1996 Mustang - advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 AM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

Default New (used) 1996 Mustang - advice

Ok, I’m a new owner of an older 1996 Mustang GT (5 - speed). I have had it for about 4 months and it was a bit run-down when I got it (83K miles), but now it’s starting to really come together. I'm enjoying working on it and having some fun!

I do like the body style (except for the Taurus looking lights). Not as much as the new 2005 though

I wanted a 2005 GT, but unfortunately the reality is that my job is a bit shaky at times and the dealers in Miami wanted way over MSRP. At this point I think NOT having a car payment is ideal because I’m looking to skip out of Miami first chance I get.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I have swapped my share of RWD Transmissions and Engines, replaced heads/cams on pushrod engines (i6 4.0 jeep, 403 olds). Can do a tune-up, etc. I have a nice 2000 BMW motorcycle as a backup ride too.

I bought this car as a daily driver, and I’ll probably keep my MODS to items that don’t affect drivability or gas mileage.

I think the car was stock except for an intake with aluminum x-over.

Ok, so anyway, with this car I have done the following just to catch up on the maintenance:

- Replaced Plugs with Stock Motorcraft titanium, which totally fixed the low-rpm lugging miss I was experiencing. Did compression a test. (155-160 on all 8). What prompted all this is I got a “Misfire on Cyl #3” error code one day. The old plugs looked consistently worn-out. Nothing Special on Cyl #3

- Picked up an OBD-II reader to help me be a better shade-tree mechanic.
- Replaced the battery (pronounced dead 1/2 way through my compression test)
- Replaced trunk lifts.
- Replaced Ball-Joints (torn boots but no play in the front suspension)
- Changed the oil over to Mobile 1 Synthetic. I have put a lot of miles on the car and it is using oil (like 1 qt every 2000 miles or so) not smoking, but I have identified a leak out the valve cover.

- Removed the stupid “Pro-Lock” security key that was causing it to randomly not start.
- New Kenwood radio with input for my XM Roady2.
- New projector lights (my old ones had cataracts)

For performance/Economy I have done:

- Had (http://www.trubendz.com) off-road Xpipe and Dynomax Mufflers installed. The sound is pretty mean sounding without drowning or being excessively loud.
- MILs to turn off the “Check Engine” light.
- K&N filter.

Anyway, now that you have the background, here are my next questions / concerns.

The car runs exactly 50% way on the dash console thermostat before the fan kicks on.

When running with the AC (in Miami) it will get hotter on the highway.

When I run it hard, I’ve seen it go up to 65% (just a guess) on a hot day in Miami. Back in stop-and-go traffic or if I run it at 2k on the HW it always cools down just a hair above 50%.

It cools down a lot faster if you turn off the AC.

Flush it? New thermostat? Both? Or perhaps install a Mark 8 Fan?

Next I’m looking at new coil-packs. One of mine is cracked but still works. Should I go aftermarket? MSD?

STC Xcalibrator. Perhaps turn off those rear O2 sensors? Can I do anything else with this device to help my economy/performance on 87 gas?

If so (or if not), is there a better device?

Down the road I may look into gears and PI head swap (and a cheap 4-cyl FWD/4WD car) if I move to a climate where the Mustang can’t be a daily driver. I Just can't see myself paying for more gas ATM on the daily whip.

So considering that, I’m not opposed to buying into overkill if it would help me now and possibly later.

At this mileage the tranny (5-speed) and pumpkin are probably ready for a change. Royal Purple? Amsoil (my dad is into Amsoil)? Stick with Mobile 1?

Thanks for the advice,

-Nate

Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 AM
Green97GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New (used) 1996 Mustang - advice

wow. you really got your stuff together. i got a similar gt and i love it. i hope you enjoy your car!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:45 PM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New (used) 1996 Mustang - advice

the only advice i can give is...be nice to your tranny i aquired my 96' GT after my friend went through 3 transmissions and just got sick of it.

anywho, if you do plan to go with some gears, i've got 4:10's in mine and they're pretty nice, until you hit the highway obviously...3:73's or 3:55's are the more common choice i guess.

about the cooling issue. try flushing everything and put a lower thermostat in (i think mine has a 180). if that doesn't help, i would assume it's a problem with your coolant temp. sensor. if it's not that, then you just need a bigger fan, haha. I put a Flex-a-lite elec. fan in my 91' GT and haven't had a single cooling issue since...it can sit in traffic in 100 degrees and be just fine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3296/B5BC44957E6140758EFF38B78DEB43CC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3296/136622866587482A90B1A05A68B55822.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3296/16C90E6007DF413AADAA95BFC2A05AFC.jpg[/IMG]