4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new issue lol P1131 1151 code WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Default new issue lol P1131 1151 code WTF!!

Okay guys just finally finished with my clutch install but NOW i can't drive the car because something is messed up with my exhaust or something, the car is idling really rough like its gasping for air, its making a poping sound almost coming from the passengers side it seems, the codes 1131 and 1151 i belive are 02 sensors sending lean codes, the only thing that changed this time with that the passenger side 02 sensor like the extender from the engin or whatever not the connnector for the pipe but the one it connects to the outer shroud broke off when i tried pushing the trans back in, the connector and everything go on fine and it works so i don't think that is the issue but nothing else changed and this just happened and no other parts changed so idk what going on, i cleaned the MAF, looked great to begin with and all the vacuums are fine no leaks, HELP guys let me get on the road and enjoy the last 3 weeks before the mustang is put away, thanks guys!!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:55 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Need ideas guys
Old 09-16-2011, 04:06 PM
CruizinConceptsJohn
Former Sponsor

Default rough idle

Sounds like a vacuum leak......just saying.
those are lean codes, so something ain't right....whats the deal with the 02 extension again? little more descriptive.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

P1131 and P1151 have the same potential causes as P1130, work the list from the top down. Since the DTCs are from both banks check the things common to both banks first--like blown fuses, leaks after the MAF, EGR issues, etc...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

well i checked everything, no visible vacuum leaks anywhere, granted i never unplugned any lines to begin with i only pulled the trans, so with that being said i checked the voltage on the passengers side 02 senser the one next to the engine and got nothing, it says it should read from .9-1 volts, and got nothing, from what i saw the + wire should be the top right and the ground should be the top left it im correct when testing the 02 sensor connector, if i did this right it sounds like the 02 sensors have failed not giving a reading to the ECU, im going to wait until tomorrow to have my dad test it to make sure i checked it correctly but i think that could be my issue but just incase how to i check the EGR ? thats the thing that sits on the Plenum to the right of it when look at the car from the front right? thanks guys i hope i get this solved soon it sucks not driving my car!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bronxbomerss2
well i checked everything, no visible vacuum leaks anywhere, granted i never unplugned any lines to begin with i only pulled the trans, so with that being said i checked the voltage on the passengers side 02 senser the one next to the engine and got nothing, it says it should read from .9-1 volts, and got nothing, from what i saw the + wire should be the top right and the ground should be the top left it im correct when testing the 02 sensor connector, if i did this right it sounds like the 02 sensors have failed not giving a reading to the ECU, im going to wait until tomorrow to have my dad test it to make sure i checked it correctly but i think that could be my issue but just incase how to i check the EGR ? thats the thing that sits on the Plenum to the right of it when look at the car from the front right? thanks guys i hope i get this solved soon it sucks not driving my car!!!
When you checked the O2 sensor voltage (what color were the wires, left/right top/bottom could mean a number of things) was the engine running and hot?

If not then 0.0V would be normal as the O2 sensors have to be heated to 950°F before they will generated any voltage. With the engine running and hot the sensor output voltage should vary slowly somewhere between 0.2V and 0.8V.

On the passenger side front sensor--if it's a stock sensor--the signal wires are gray/light blue for the + lead, and gray/red for ground; on the driver's side the + wire is red/black. The other two wires, one will be red/yellow, are the power for the O2 sensor heater, the red/yellow being the positive wire. If the PCM has turned on the heater there will be 12V+ between those wires.

If they are aftermarket sensors then almost always the + signal wire is black, the negative gray. On most aftermarket sensors the heater wires are both white.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:10 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

i let the car sit for 10 minutes so the engine was warmed up for sure i have no idea how hot it rele was though but it the OEM 02 sensors still, it says ford on them so im assuming they were never changed at least not to my knowledge and my car just hit 80k miles so that right around where you would want to change them but i let the car sit for about 10 minutes and let it idle and then using my haynes manual it said the top right prong i guess u would call it is the positive lead and the top left one is the ground, so i checked it several times and go nothing, just for good measure i checked the back 02 sensors and they were giving a reading i can't remember the number but it was a good reading, so im going to check the 02 sensors again before i go and spend 100 bucks on a new pair but im hoping that my problem and its just that
Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Your rear 02 do squat except to tell the computer they're plugged in. However the fronts you need otherwise it can mess up your entire fuel /air flow.

Now, I didn't fully read through the responses above but you mentioned in #1 that your "broke off when i tried pushing the trans back in". What did you break again? And have you tried repacing that?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

all that broke off was the center circle around the 02 sensor, like the bracket kinda, so it doesn't "snap" in if you know what i mean, its pushed in all the way and i checked the wires and they seamed fine the car is making a "popping" sound from the exhaust, i changed both front O2 sensors and cleaned the MAF & EGR valve after the problems still continued, im out of ideas guys, im getting the cod P1132 now and that all, i don't think the little bracket would be causing this but ill take a pic once the exhaust cools down to show u what i mean
Old 09-18-2011, 12:21 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

OK HERES WHAT IM TAKING ABOUT, i have 02 sensor extenders so i don't need these anymore so i broke on of them to show u what im taking about, the left side has the broken out piece that would connect the two connetors and the right side is what it should like like not broken, i don't see how this would effect anything, the connection is still solid and the wires werent even touched, its just when i went to put the trans back in the O2 sensor got caught and i didn't realize it, now instead of both 1131 and 1151 im only getting P1131, both front O2 sensors were replaced, i cleaned the MAF and EGR with nothing helping, anyone who can help me i would be so greatful before i bring this into the stealership ok heres the pics!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quick Reply: new issue lol P1131 1151 code WTF!!