MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Stiff Clutch (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/653369-stiff-clutch.html)

Wobbs 09-17-2011 12:19 PM

Stiff Clutch

Hello All....

New here to the forum. Just bought a 02 GT Vert. It is supposed to be all stock, but the clutch seems very stiff for a stock clutch. Are they all this way? My girlfriend won't be able to drive it.....which may be a good thing! :-)

foru2nv4 09-17-2011 12:39 PM

IS it stiff cause it should be soft just had a new clutch put in mine 9 months ago. Lets put it this way if you have to have the clutch 1 inch off the floor to shift it then your clutch is a goner. Bought mine used from ford dealership and I knew then sumin was wrong with it. Had them check it out and they came back and told me it was a racing clutch HA HA HA got me on that one cause I said cool. What a bunch of liers to save a dollar.

foru2nv4 09-17-2011 01:22 PM

clutch should be soft like butter

cliffyk 09-17-2011 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wobbs (Post 7690151)
Hello All....

New here to the forum. Just bought a 02 GT Vert. It is supposed to be all stock, but the clutch seems very stiff for a stock clutch. Are they all this way? My girlfriend won't be able to drive it.....which may be a good thing! :-)

If you mean stiff as compared to the average run-of-the-mill Jap econobox/"sporty car", then YES it is normal for our beasts.

The engine in our cars produces much more torque at lower rpms than any import 4-banger and most V6s, and the clutch needs to be able to deal with that--as does the transmission and rest of the drivetrain. All of this makes our cars a bit more "clunky" than the its import contemporaries.

It's part of the muscle car appeal, after all it's not called

http://www.paladinmicro.com/images/ManPedal01.png

for nothing...

sv650lex 09-18-2011 10:00 AM

Also you have a cable clutch not a hydraulic that can make a differance.

cliffyk 09-18-2011 11:14 AM

It takes a fixed amount ("X") of work (force times distance) to actuate any given clutch. It doesn't matter how you transfer that work--via cable, hydraulics, or whatever--it will take X amount.

To decrease the force (pedal effort) you need to increase the distance (pedal "throw"), which makes the clutch take longer to engage. To make a quicker acting clutch you need to shorten the distance the pedal moves, which means that it will take more effort.

Hydraulic clutch controls have garnered a reputation for having less pedal force largely because they are generally used with clutches having much lower clamping force than those in our cars...

Wobbs 09-18-2011 12:58 PM

Okay.....the clutch isn't slipping or anything....just kind of stiff. I guess I'm just not used to it. But other than that....love the car. Going in the shop on Monday for new wheels and tires (18" staggered), eibach springs, swaybars, subframe connectors and a short shifter.....should be interesting!

cliffyk 09-18-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wobbs (Post 7691075)
Okay.....the clutch isn't slipping or anything....just kind of stiff. I guess I'm just not used to it. But other than that....love the car. Going in the shop on Monday for new wheels and tires (18" staggered), eibach springs, swaybars, subframe connectors and a short shifter.....should be interesting!

I am curious as to what other manual transmission cars you have driven, that would provide some background as to better gauge whether your Mustang has a problem...

Wobbs 09-18-2011 11:15 PM

Well I had a 2001 Cobra a few years ago, and I don't remember the clutch being so stiff. And I test drove a 99 Vette and it was much easier. Other than that mainly japanese cars

uberstang1 09-19-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by foru2nv4 (Post 7690173)
IS it stiff cause it should be soft just had a new clutch put in mine 9 months ago. Lets put it this way if you have to have the clutch 1 inch off the floor to shift it then your clutch is a goner. Bought mine used from ford dealership and I knew then sumin was wrong with it. Had them check it out and they came back and told me it was a racing clutch HA HA HA got me on that one cause I said cool. What a bunch of liers to save a dollar.

I find it very hard to beleive that a dealership sold you a used part, especially a clutch. Referring to the section in bold, the clutch may simply need to be adjusted....lol.