4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MHS Stage 2 Cams (Need Degreeing or No)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 AM
yunior04gt

Post MHS Stage 2 Cams (Need Degreeing or No)

Hi everybody,

I am intrested in gettin the MHS Stage 2 cams but im trying to figure out if i would need to degree these cams or not. Can you guys help me with some questions i have.

Do i need to degree the cams or its not necessary?

If i get the cam gears from MHS will it then be just bolt on everything and put on the timing chains point by point to meet tdc or is there another procedure?

Finally what are all the requirements i would need to make these cams go right on?

Appreciate any suggestions guys.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

As someone who has degreed a few cams, about 99 sets out of 100 at least one cam needs adjustment via the adjustable crank gear if you want them perfect. Good thing with Bullet grinding them 99% of the time the cam has more retard than it should so the intake valve isn't deep into the piston. Bad thing with Bullet grinding most of them with more retard than it should that hurts the power also.

Comp does things different, the passenger side is always advanced and the driver side is always retarded............
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
yunior04gt

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
As someone who has degreed a few cams, about 99 sets out of 100 at least one cam needs adjustment via the adjustable crank gear if you want them perfect. Good thing with Bullet grinding them 99% of the time the cam has more retard than it should so the intake valve isn't deep into the piston. Bad thing with Bullet grinding most of them with more retard than it should that hurts the power also.

Comp does things different, the passenger side is always advanced and the driver side is always retarded............

so what do you recomend?? that i buy the cam gears and the crank gears along with the cams??

What happens if i just put the cams in without degreeing them??

Or better yet whats the best way for me to just buy the cams and bolt them right on? do you recomend i buy the cams with just the cam gears or what??

I noticed that if i buy the cams along with the gears this can avoid me having to degree the cams, is this right??
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

1st choice is to degree on your own motor - since 90% of folks don't want to do that 2nd choice is to have the degree work done on another blueprint motor. If done this way the cams and gears are tested together as a single unit since both have variances.

Degree wise if the cams are retarded too much they make less power in these cars, if they are advanced too much the intake valve hits the piston. Its a very narrow range to make best safe power with a stock PI motor.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

nick, you'll probly be shaking your head at this, but i didnt degree my cams and ive put quite a few mile on since my head swap with no problems yet. and yes they're mhs stage 2's
Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by nickmckinney

Originally Posted by kugzgt
nick, you'll probly be shaking your head at this, but i didnt degree my cams and ive put quite a few mile on since my head swap with no problems yet. and yes they're mhs stage 2's
Retarded = loss of midrange power
Old 09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Im really not concerned about 5 hp.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by kugzgt
Im really not concerned about 5 hp.
That's a funny statement. Without knowing what mods you've done I think it's safe to say you've done a few mods to your car that you'd be lucky if it added 5 hp. So why did you do those mods if you're not interested in getting 5 more hp? Why add a CAI? Why add UDPs? Why buy an O/R mid pipe? Why buy a TB/Plenum? I hope you didn't buy any of those mods if you aren't concerned about 5 hp.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

im talking about the 5hp i would gain off of degreeing cams. to me its not worth $250. im perfectly happy with they way my car performs right now. u wanna send me some cam gears? ill gladly put them in. as for the other bolt ons, for all you know my car could have came that way when i bought it, i DID buy the car used. if you're trying to make me look like a d1ck on here i suggest you go find yourself another chump.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
That's a funny statement. Without knowing what mods you've done I think it's safe to say you've done a few mods to your car that you'd be lucky if it added 5 hp. So why did you do those mods if you're not interested in getting 5 more hp? Why add a CAI? Why add UDPs? Why buy an O/R mid pipe? Why buy a TB/Plenum? I hope you didn't buy any of those mods if you aren't concerned about 5 hp.
Kugzy, I have no problem being a **** and taking out the trash.

Wannabe, you're a *****. End of story.

NickMcKinney- I've driven KugzGT's car quite a few times and I love the MHS 2's that he purchased from you.

Quick Reply: MHS Stage 2 Cams (Need Degreeing or No)