MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Taking advantage of a pulled engine! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/654997-taking-advantage-of-a-pulled-engine.html)

Clark 10-08-2011 01:02 PM

Taking advantage of a pulled engine!

Hello everyone.

My Name is Clark and I am new to this forum. I drive a yellow 2001 Ford Mustang GT convertible. Right now, she is on life support. It all started about 15,000 miles ago when my radiator cracked and the coolant traveled through the heat transfer case into the transmission, and rotted out all the gears. 3,000 dollars and a new transmission later, I though my worries were over. Fast forward 15,000 miles. I started to here a loud knocking noise that progressively got worse. After several mechanic inputs, it was declared the noise was coming from the bottom end and more than likely a rod knock, caused from over heating (see cracked radiator).

Currently, the engine is out of the car, and I am looking for a new engine to drop in, which arouses these questions that I hope some of my fellow mustang Gurus can help me out with!

Is it logical and cost effective to drop a 4.6L DOHC in place of the SOHC? Perhaps from a Mach 1 or a Cobra.

What performance parts should I take advantage of while the engine is out of the car? I am already looking at headers and possibly full exhaust

Any kind of advice you folks have to offer or anything else you think I should do while the engine is out is highly appreciated!

I hope I didn't bore you all to death with my novel!

Thank you, And have a great day.

Clark

lizzyfan 10-08-2011 01:16 PM

Do a search, plenty of info on the 4v swap

mustangmancp 10-08-2011 01:21 PM

I mean what is your budget? You can put in a 4v but modding them can get VERY expensive.

What are your goals for the car??

+1 on what Lizzy said

sn95_331_GT_ yellow 10-08-2011 01:25 PM

yes, drop in a 4V motor, and put longtubes in while its out

Clark 10-08-2011 01:58 PM

I would like to keep the cost of the "new" (used obviously) engine under $2,000. As far as the modifications for the car right now, I would like to spend under $1,000. The only modification I have is a predator tuner. Thank you all for your help! My goal for the car is to squeeze as much power as I can, keeping it naturally aspirated. With an automatic transmission, I see any forced intake problematic for the future.

1998Slow 'Stang 10-08-2011 02:17 PM

IMO, the cheapest option (if your not looking at F/I) is a Mark VIII motor. Ideally a 97 or 98 complete...or at least with the Intake. Then get a set of, I wanna say, 99-04 Cobra manifolds, or LT's if it's in your budget once you have the rest. I think the COP polarity has to be reversed if you use the Lincoln COPs. Just my .02.

If that sounds like too much, I don't think it is but some might (it's quite easy really) you could get a Crown Vic NON police interceptor, Mercury Grand Marq, or lincoln Town Car engine from 01-04(?) That I THINK is just a straight swap over with no modifications whatsoever. In other words, I'm not sure what years are Romeo and which ones are Windsors, either way. Best of luck to you

FWIW, my vote is a 4v if you can afford it.

Clark 10-08-2011 02:26 PM

I think I am gonna go straight with a 2V drop in, preferably from another 99-04 Mustang GT. I will probably direct the saved funds towards a full exhaust system, headers all the way back. Any recommendations?

1998Slow 'Stang 10-08-2011 02:35 PM

Shop around. Some Lincolns and Mercury's as well as Crown Vics got the same PI engine as was originally in your 01. I believe that an engine from a Mustang will be significantly more expensive.....because it is from a Mustang....just a suggestion. Oh, and again, Long Tubes while it's out and 2+1/2 inch pipe from the headers back. As for what setup, I like an H Pipe with Flowmasters......but that is what I have so my opinion is biased.

Clark 10-08-2011 02:40 PM

From the research I conducted I found a significant difference in horsepower from the Mustang engine and any Crown Vic/Cougar engines. My father owns a transportation company and owns several lincoln town cars with the 4.6L V8. The engine horsepower is about 50 less.

Where do most of the people here do there shopping? Americanmuscle?

MidNightRunner 10-08-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Clark (Post 7712990)
From the research I conducted I found a significant difference in horsepower from the Mustang engine and any Crown Vic/Cougar engines. My father owns a transportation company and owns several lincoln town cars with the 4.6L V8. The engine horsepower is about 50 less.

Where do most of the people here do there shopping? Americanmuscle?

Check out Steeda!