4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What kind of engine work is needed for twin turbo?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
specizripn
1st Gear Member

Default What kind of engine work is needed for twin turbo?

OK, so my 290 or so HP is not really doing the job... I've rode in 500 hp mustangs and still not enough. I was thinking about getting a blower but I don't think I could get enough power out of one to satisfy my insanity. So I have decided to get a twin turbo kit Now I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done to my engine, because I don't really wan't to make my engine into a car bomb with the turbos... So what needs to be done to my engine? Or is it cheaper to just build a new one? I know the bottom needs to be redone for even blowers, but if I'm looking at 700-1100 hp a lot more work needs to be done.
Anyone done this, or have enough experience to give me a proper list? Highly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

atleast a MMR 1000 built shortblock. Then a crazy fuel system to keep up with the power.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

The list begins with a barrel of money and ends up being twice what you budgeted for, then youll get disappointed and start hating the car then sell it and bitch and moan about how much money you wasted. Ask me how I know.....
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

You can put twin turbos on anything. How you tune them is the real question. If you use a stock engine with compression of 9:1 or more, you won't run very much boost, so benefit to cost ratio is not great.
If you purpose build a 7:1 motor with a quality rotating assembly and forged parts, o-ring the heads and pick a cam(s) designed around your system, you could get downright crazy with boost levels. Lots of benefit, but even higher costs.

If you're serious about it, you need to research a lot, but also go sit down with a reputable builder (with turbo experience) that will help you make good choices.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

another option is sell your car get a already built termi with TT for mid 20's and dont have to worry bout having all the hastle of building it from scratch....thats what i would do unless you really have that barrell of money
Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
You can put twin turbos on anything. How you tune them is the real question. If you use a stock engine with compression of 9:1 or more, you won't run very much boost, so benefit to cost ratio is not great.
If you purpose build a 7:1 motor with a quality rotating assembly and forged parts, o-ring the heads and pick a cam(s) designed around your system, you could get downright crazy with boost levels. Lots of benefit, but even higher costs.

If you're serious about it, you need to research a lot, but also go sit down with a reputable builder (with turbo experience) that will help you make good choices.
I would never build a 7:1 CR engine, that is just ridiculously low and completely pointless.

I also think with current technology in turbos (ball barring turbos,divided turbine housings/twin scroll), running twins is pretty pointless. In the money you're going to spend buying twins, you could have purchased a really nice turbo that will meet all of your goals.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I would never build a 7:1 CR engine, that is just ridiculously low and completely pointless.

I also think with current technology in turbos (ball barring turbos,divided turbine housings/twin scroll), running twins is pretty pointless. In the money you're going to spend buying twins, you could have purchased a really nice turbo that will meet all of your goals.
^^^ I agree.If im correcthere?

My buddies 3 serie BMW run a single turbo with twin turbines which is pretty much the same as having a twin turbo setup

BTW for a inline 6 turbo AWD that car pulls soooooo hard 13.7 best 1\4..Not bad for bone stock 300hp
Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
^^^ I agree.If im correcthere?

My buddies 3 serie BMW run a single turbo with twin turbines which is pretty much the same as having a twin turbo setup

BTW for a inline 6 turbo AWD that car pulls soooooo hard 13.7 best 1\4..Not bad for bone stock 300hp
Those 335xi are no joke. Add a intake/tune to that car and you won't believe the power it picks up.

BMW did opt for a single turbo in the E92s though. Turbo technology is just to far along to spend money/space/weight on twins. You can finally have your cake and eat it too.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

lots of guys always want twin turbos and 1000 hp until you realize whats involved. you'll need a VERY stout rotating assembly, tf heads, sheetmetal racing manifold, customer cams, a huge fuel system, built transmission, built rear, tons of suspension components...oh yeah and a $10k turbo system. Just so you are aware, you're talking tons of money and lots of time and labor
Old 10-14-2011, 06:14 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i'd budget more than 10k just for motor work and turbo. 6k will get you a 2v that'll handle it, and another 3-5k depending on what you wanna do for a turbo system. with a 2v you'd need alot of boost, and at that point you might as well just have bought a cobra.

and with all that, its without labor costs, you'd need to DIY...
then you'd need a trans to hold it...
and then you'd need the suspension and tires to plant it..

then you'd need a properly prepped track to race it, because planting 1000 rwhp on the street... lol... good luck...

aim lower, do it peice by peice. you'll be happier... and who knows, maybe 600 rwhp on a good chassis & suspension to match might be more fun to you than 1000 rwhp on a ****ty chassis and stock suspension....

i honestly think you need to start with something like a 100-125 shot of nitrous or a single turbo system to get you to the 400 rwhp mark. and a single turbo CAN and WILL make 1000 rwhp... its just a tad bit later in the band than twins, but substantially cheaper and easier to maintain. and remember, turbo's love auto cars...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of engine work is needed for twin turbo?