4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SCT Xcal 2 Tuner Question?

Old 09-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SCT Xcal 2 Tuner Question?

ORIGINAL: josh_0351

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

ORIGINAL: hawks05

actually i thought you could, BUT you have to buy the software for it which is in the range of like $300+. I could be wrong but i think www.velocitymustangperformance.com or i think its www.vmptuning.com sells the software.
This is crap the software is free.

When you get it, ask the dealer to give you a preloaded tune for xx octane gas and w/ xxx gears.. etc.. then work from there once you have the file.

SCT kicks *** don't worry you made the right choice.
It’s all good – I spoke to ShowRides (who I bought the Xcal 2 from), and they will have the Advantage 3.0 software (*that will allow me to make adjustments on the tuner) loaded onto the tuner before it ships Monday.
Good to hear! I just looked into it and you're right it seems SCT has come through with some new firmware to allow this... even without it though I think it's a fine tuner.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:44 PM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: josh_0351

ORIGINAL: hawks05

actually i thought you could, BUT you have to buy the software for it which is in the range of like $300+. I could be wrong but i think www.velocitymustangperformance.com or i think its www.vmptuning.com sells the software.
This is crap the software is free.

When you get it, ask the dealer to give you a preloaded tune for xx octane gas and w/ xxx gears.. etc.. then work from there once you have the file.

SCT kicks *** don't worry you made the right choice.
It’s all good – I spoke to ShowRides (who I bought the Xcal 2 from), and they will have the Advantage 3.0 software (*that will allow me to make adjustments on the tuner) loaded onto the tuner before it ships Monday.
Good to hear! I just looked into it and you're right it seems SCT has come through with some new firmware to allow this... even without it though I think it's a fine tuner.
I’ve been doing a lot of research into this, and apparently SCT had plans all along of releasing software upgrades that on-top of current Xcal 2 capabilities, enable the user to made adjustments on the unit like the Predator. Magazine advertisements and whatnot were apparently released prematurely, but SCT seems to have been working pretty hard to perfect this firmware (software) upgrade.

I am really excited about the Xcal 2 now, as it appears to be everything I anticipated and then some (along the way and while researching this issue, I learned quite a bit about the powerful data logging capabilities, and value of customer tunes with end user adjustability).
Old 09-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I have both. First I used the Preditor with the tune that came with it which works very well if you advance the timing all the way on both wide open and part throttle.

When I got my S/C the shop that I went to only had SCT software so I bought the XCal2. I think the xtreme software is crappy and confusing compared to what you can do with the hand held capability of the Preditor.

I hope the new firmware update puts the XCal2 even with the Preditors ease of use.

I honestly think I like the Preditor better although I have not updated my XCal2 yet. I see the firmware update is on SCT's download page finally.

I will say though that the XCal2 never crashed on me while uploading a tune the the car. The Preditor was crashing constantly. When it crashes you have to return the car to stock and then upload your custome tune (if your using one) to the preditor from your computor, and then reupload it to the car which is a huge pain.

I'm really hoping the XCal2 lives up to the hyp. I think it will.