MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   SCT Xcal 2 Tuner Question? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/65558-sct-xcal-2-tuner-question.html)

josh_0351 09-09-2005 01:40 AM

SCT Xcal 2 Tuner Question?

I ordered the SCT Xcal 2 (has not arrived yet) and spent the past hour plus searching this site and the net, but still did not find a definitive answer. Can you adjust parameters on the Xcal 2?

According to the snippit on the site where I purchased it, you can (below). But I have read that the damn thing is basically usless unless your dealer sends you a tune. [:@] I was under the impression that you can upload customer tunes, or if you so choose, adjust various parameters like the Diablo Predator. If I cannot even make minor adjustments like gears or A/F, etc - I don't want the b!tch....

"The XCalibrator 2 has both end user adjustment and high speed data logging capability. Using the keypad, you can make changes to your timing, fueling, fuel injector size, and dozens of other parameters. You can also monitor and data log all critical parameters by both connecting the XCalibrator 2 to your PC and using the SCT Live Link software, or by using the built-in LCD display."

Dave2000GT 09-09-2005 02:51 AM

RE: SCT Xcal 2 Tuner Question?

ORIGINAL: josh_0351

Can you adjust parameters on the Xcal 2?

No.

You have to get a tune from a dealer, then you can adjust it on a computer, upload it to the XCAL, then by pressing buttons on the XCAL with it hooked up to your car you can reflash the cars computer (thats what they mean when they say you can adjust stuff by pushing buttons on the XCAL).. The XCAL will hold up to 3 different tunes at a time.

However, it is a very powerful datalogging tool, and the dealer you get it from should give you a standard tune right away that you can mess around with.

josh_0351 09-09-2005 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

Can you adjust parameters on the Xcal 2?

No.

You have to get a tune from a dealer, then you can adjust it on a computer, upload it to the XCAL, then by pressing buttons on the XCAL with it hooked up to your car you can reflash the cars computer (thats what they mean when they say you can adjust stuff by pushing buttons on the XCAL).. The XCAL will hold up to 3 different tunes at a time.

However, it is a very powerful datalogging tool, and the dealer you get it from should give you a standard tune right away that you can mess around with.

Thanks for the info - I probably should have gone with the Predator.[&o]

Mr03mach1 09-09-2005 11:09 AM

After your dealer tunes your car ask for the .xtr file for your tune, then at home you can
make some changes using extreme tune that you DL from sctflash.com.

I love mine.............

Pyrat 09-09-2005 11:25 AM

I ordered the SCT Xcal 2 (has not arrived yet) and spent the past hour plus searching this site and the net, but still did not find a definitive answer. Can you adjust parameters on the Xcal 2?

According to the snippit on the site where I purchased it, you can (below). But I have read that the damn thing is basically usless unless your dealer sends you a tune. [:@] I was under the impression that you can upload customer tunes, or if you so choose, adjust various parameters like the Diablo Predator. If I cannot even make minor adjustments like gears or A/F, etc - I don't want the b!tch....

"The XCalibrator 2 has both end user adjustment and high speed data logging capability. Using the keypad, you can make changes to your timing, fueling, fuel injector size, and dozens of other parameters. You can also monitor and data log all critical parameters by both connecting the XCalibrator 2 to your PC and using the SCT Live Link software, or by using the built-in LCD display."
Like you I have just received my XCAL2 and have been researching what I can do with it. I believe the answer to your question is no, not on the XCAL2, but you can with the Extreme Tune software download from SCT. Here's a link to a demo that will give you an idea of how it works. You will also find the XCAL2 FAQ useful at www.sctflash.com.

http://www.sctflash.com/docs/extreme_Tune.htm

hawks05 09-09-2005 11:58 AM

actually i thought you could, BUT you have to buy the software for it which is in the range of like $300+. I could be wrong but i think www.velocitymustangperformance.com or i think its www.vmptuning.com sells the software.

redass02gt 09-09-2005 01:48 PM

go to the sctflash.com forums. they have a little bit of info
I believe they are releasing new firmware for the xcal 2 that will let you adjust everything

bryanec 09-09-2005 08:41 PM

I went through the same thing. If your dealer programs it with the Adv 3.0 software and turns it on, you will have the adjustability.

Dave2000GT 09-09-2005 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: hawks05

actually i thought you could, BUT you have to buy the software for it which is in the range of like $300+. I could be wrong but i think www.velocitymustangperformance.com or i think its www.vmptuning.com sells the software.
This is crap the software is free.

When you get it, ask the dealer to give you a preloaded tune for xx octane gas and w/ xxx gears.. etc.. then work from there once you have the file.

SCT kicks ass don't worry you made the right choice.

josh_0351 09-10-2005 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

ORIGINAL: hawks05

This is crap the software is free.

When you get it, ask the dealer to give you a preloaded tune for xx octane gas and w/ xxx gears.. etc.. then work from there once you have the file.

SCT kicks ass don't worry you made the right choice.
It’s all good – I spoke to ShowRides (who I bought the Xcal 2 from), and they will have the Advantage 3.0 software (*that will allow me to make adjustments on the tuner) loaded onto the tuner before it ships Monday. :D