4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lug bolt Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
quan1002

Default Lug bolt Question

Hey guys,

It's been years since I had a mustang, like 15. Yesterday I purchased a 2000 Mustang gt. It is white, GT 4.6, 80k, really an awsome car. Eibach racing suspension, 2" lowering kit, Dual Flowmaster 44, quick shift kit. I have been driving around town all day.

On the way home I heard a "click" when I put on the brakes. By the time I got home a few miles later, I was hearing some "clanging" coming from the back wheel passenger. I took the wheel off.

When I was taking off the wheel, I noticed that a couple of lug bolts studs are loose, this is not something I can say I have noticed on a car before. When i try to get the wheel back on it's hard to get the lug bolt on the stud because they fall back in or turn with the lug bolt. I sprayed them with WD40 and there is still to much friction that it keep turning anf making them fall in.

Whats going on here??

Jason -proud new owner
Old 10-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have not heard of this issue, but sounds like you need a new set of studs and possibly more. Have you, or previous owner, had any axles replaced or hub work done? I can only guess, that some of this work WAS done, but the wrong studs were put in as replacements.

Jazzer
Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 PM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

Yeah that would be my best guess as well. What a dink... Get new studs
Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 AM
quan1002

The lug bolts had been welded in place, three of them. I broke the welds witrh torque I'm assuming. I don't want to replace the entire axle so I have replacements with a larger "knurl" , the part that holds the stud in place. I am going to drill out a little biut and place the new ones in.

Has anyone had any experience with this or bhave a better idea?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
Old 10-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Ya.... someone installed the wrong bolts with under-sized knurls and why they were welded. You said axles, so must be out back and pulling the axles is the way to do it right. I have changed studs on my car without pulling the axles and the proper studs really need to be pressed in place. Pulling the axles is not that difficult and, depending on the mileage, might be a good idea to replace the seals and fluid in the rear end anyway.

Why do you suppose the studs were all changed? Do you have the wrong off-set wheels installed with spacers, or something?

Jazzer
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 AM
quan1002

I have some new studs but cannot figure out how to get them in the back, there does not seem to be enough room.

The wheels are off a cobra, idk why they were changed. it does seem as though the knurls were too small but the ones i have will work if I can get them to fit in from behind the hub.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Ya.... someone installed the wrong bolts with under-sized knurls and why they were welded. You said axles, so must be out back and pulling the axles is the way to do it right. I have changed studs on my car without pulling the axles and the proper studs really need to be pressed in place. Pulling the axles is not that difficult and, depending on the mileage, might be a good idea to replace the seals and fluid in the rear end anyway.
What Jazzer said. Pull the axles. Life will be alot easier. Pressing in studs in-car is a serious pain. Pulling the axles will make things easier. Besides, if you just got the car it isnt a bad idea to change the gear oil anyway. Kill two birds with one stone.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 PM
quan1002

Hey guys

I really appreciate the feedback here. I have always used forums no matter what car I have had, but this car is a little more of a hobby than my Saturn or Honda so I am glad to have some help. I LOVE this car.

Eibach suspension with 2" drop, Dual Flowmaster 44's, short throw shift kit, cobra whels, underpulleys, cold air intake, came with a diablo programmer.

I have the bolts installed and used a lug bolt to pull them thru, prob not the most comprehensive way but it got the jo done. Turns outt he hole for the bolts on the hub were not stripped like I thought but they had put in the wrong lug bolts and then welded them in right before I bought it. Like the day of, glad it made it to Tulsa from KC,MO.

I want to do some tune up inlcuding changing out the gear oil. Can you steer me to a thread that gives me some instructuons? Also, what else do you recommend doing/checking besides the normal fluids, spark plugs, oil, radiator, to get the Mustang where it needs to be so I don't run into unneeded probs down the road.

Thanks