MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Exhaust fitment question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/655688-exhaust-fitment-question.html)

Clark 10-16-2011 08:27 PM

Exhaust fitment question

Hello everyone.

I am in a bit of a time crunch to get an exhaust piece for my 2001 mustang gt. I purchased ceramic bbk shorty headers with a bassani mid pipe and would like to buy mufflers to tailpipes, but I need them ASAP. I have searched locally for 99-04 catback exhaust and no one has anything. Would it be possible to fit 05-09 exhaust onto my 01? Or any other year not 99-04? Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks.

kast1376 10-16-2011 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Clark (Post 7721777)
Hello everyone.

I am in a bit of a time crunch to get an exhaust piece for my 2001 mustang gt. I purchased ceramic bbk shorty headers with a bassani mid pipe and would like to buy mufflers to tailpipes, but I need them ASAP. I have searched locally for 99-04 catback exhaust and no one has anything. Would it be possible to fit 05-09 exhaust onto my 01? Or any other year not 99-04? Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks.

American Muscle. You should have it by Sat. They will have whatever you want.

smitty2919 10-17-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Clark (Post 7721777)
Hello everyone.

A 05-05 exhaust won't work. Any 99-04 exhaust will work.

+1 on American Muscle with a typicsl 2 day shipment. Otherwise go to an exhaust shop and have them fap up some pipes from the midpipe to the rear hangers right before the axle with turndowns just to get you by. Should be cheap and east for them to do.

Clark 10-17-2011 11:41 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice,

for anyone who cares or would like to add their two cents here is an update:

My mechanic installed the shorty headers and the bassani x pipe to my car, but the x pipe doesn't fit up with my cars stock exhaust. Is this normal? What kind of exhaust will fit?

hawks05 10-17-2011 11:54 PM

Most mid-pipes should bolt to the stock catback.

smitty2919 10-18-2011 06:44 AM

Something has to be going on for a bassani ANYTHING not to fit lol. You don't pay that kind of money for bassani stuff not to fit..

how exactly is it not fitting?

rsh0763 10-18-2011 10:04 AM

Every Bassani piece I have used fit like PERFECTLY and I am talking brackets for stuff I never thought they would even have. I am wondering if you have a part made for another ride.

Clark 10-19-2011 03:23 PM

*UPDATE*

Mechanic had looked at the x-pipe wrong (phew!). I purchased a bassani cat back to go along with the bassani catted x-pipe and the shorty ceramic bbk headers. I COULD NOT be more happy with the sound. I will try and post a video soon. Only problems I am having with the car is a small exhaust leak up by the headers (mechanic is going to check it out next week, he is my dads fleet mechanic and has several other cars to look at), and for some reason the transmission feels weird, like it is loosely in neutral when the shifter is on N. Could this be caused by the x pipe choking the shifter cable? Oh and like a lot of x pipes... I have a problem with it hanging too low, going over speed bumps with others in the car is quite the challenge. It has been a long 3 weeks with out my baby, so happy to have her back!

kast1376 10-19-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Clark (Post 7724920)
*UPDATE*

Mechanic had looked at the x-pipe wrong (phew!). I purchased a bassani cat back to go along with the bassani catted x-pipe and the shorty ceramic bbk headers. I COULD NOT be more happy with the sound. I will try and post a video soon. Only problems I am having with the car is a small exhaust leak up by the headers (mechanic is going to check it out next week, he is my dads fleet mechanic and has several other cars to look at), and for some reason the transmission feels weird, like it is loosely in neutral when the shifter is on N. Could this be caused by the x pipe choking the shifter cable? Oh and like a lot of x pipes... I have a problem with it hanging too low, going over speed bumps with others in the car is quite the challenge. It has been a long 3 weeks with out my baby, so happy to have her back!

Leak at headers: If on passenger side, new gasket. If on driver's side, call UPR, and aske for the insert the driver's side manifold where it connects to the mid-pipe. They should know what you are talking about. I had a small leak on my driver's side manifold and it drove me nuts. Called UPR and got the insert (it was about 14 bucks), stuck it in the midpipe, and no more problems.