4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Noises after driving on highway

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 PM
LG96GT

Default Noises after driving on highway

Hey all,
New to these forums, so sorry if I make any newb mistakes. And I apologize in advance for the long post as well.

Just recently bought my first mustang, a 96 GT with 160,000 KM (canadian, eh) and have been having some issues with it lately. Any help advice with these problems is greatly appreciated.

1) When going over speed bumps at low speeds or turning sharply at low speeds (parking etc.) I hear a slight clunking from what sounds like the front end. Have jacked the car up and checked the tie rods (just visually), ball joints and wheel bearings (grabbed wheels at 9 and 3 and 12 and 6 and tried to wiggle), and from my limited mechanical assesment, they appear fine.

2) After driving for 30 minutes or so on the highway, doing 120km +, the car starts making worse clunking, squealing noises when speed is reduced. You can't hear it when cruising on the highway, but after pulling off into a side road and doing less than 50, it is extremely obvious. Seems to be affected by steering, I can do slow circles in a parking lot and it is really bad. I am unsure if it is unrelated to the above issue, but doesn't really sound like its coming from the same are. I think it sounds like the rear of the car, so Im thinking rear end issues, but is really difficult to tell.
I felt my diff the last time it was doing it and it was hot to the touch. I could keep my fingers on it for several seconds before I had to pull them off due to discomfort. Is this way too hot????

3) There is a bad clunk when I back out of a parking spot with wheels turning and stop suddenly. Doesn't really seem to do it if i come to a nice gradual stop. But it clunks hard sometimes if i brake hard to stop from reverse. Also when backing up for a distance, ie several hundered meters, I get the clunking. U joints bad possibly?

4)And finally, there is a rattle that is getting worse that I originally thought was an exhaust rattle, but now am not so sure. Used to be primarily in the 2600-3000 RPM range, but was screwing around w the car last night and heard it rattling at idle. But if i put my foot on the clutch, even EVER so slightly, the rattle goes away.

I am going to try and get my car up on a lift on Monday, but would just like some advice as to where to start with some of these issues before I get it up there. The car is lowered too so it makes it difficult to diagnose things and work on it... Again any advice/ideas is greatly appreciated.

Specs on the car are 96 GT, 4.6, stock exhaust manifolds with H pipes and magnaflow exhaust, lowered 1.5", Diablo racing chip, 3.73 gears.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
LG96GT

Bump...