4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 Mustang Gt Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
KianK

Default 2001 Mustang Gt Build

This is my first post and I am new to the forum. I am purchasing a 99-04 gt 5-speed sometime this week and want to begin modifying it. I have a general idea but am looking for suggestions as well. I want to achieve a safe 500-600hp daily driver that will be used for drag racing and autocross. The first thing I want to do is borla stinger cat backs, bbk under drive pulleys, 3.73-4.10 gears, larger throttle body, jlt cai, hand held tuner (just until I’m finish then I’ll get a pro tune), coil overs, short shifter, and possibly a few other things. Later I want to get ceramic long tube headers, high flow catted h pipe, stronger drive shaft, and axels, control arms, brake upgrade, and start preparing the engine for a supercharger. So basically I want to get any opinions on my build or suggestions on how I should go about doing this. Also any info on what to do to the engine would be great along with overall info to achieve my goal.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the boards! Sounds like a good parts list to begin with for sure! Just bear in mind a few of the below items when considering your build.

Which focus? Autocross or drag racing? You can get a car that will be fun in both but really only PERFORM really well for one depending on power levels, suspension, ect ect

You will most definately need a forged block to handle safe 500 to 600 rwhp, and while there certainly is good blowers for the 2v 4.6 that can produce that, you gonna need a good amount of supporting mods as your psi will have to be fairly high so the car can handle that as well, like fuel system for example.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

How much is this car going to cost you to buy? You're looking at ALOT of money for the forged motor, supercharger, and suspension. I was going to say that you should just buy an 03-04 Cobra and spend a little money in modding it. (ported blower, pulley, intake, exhaust, tune) An aggressive tune, that is. Should get you 500 at the tires.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
KianK

well its main focus will be a daily driver that performs well in both of those areas. Thanks for the info as well, im starting with the mods i said and as time goes by ill be adding piece by piece. im in college but work part time with no expenses besides gas and going out so ill be able to put about $800 a month into the build. secoundly have i chosen a good platform for this build? parts can be found easily and the prices arent too bad either. i also dont have to worry about labor, it will all be free.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
KianK

my father is a mechanic and owns a few car dealerships, thats how the labor will be free, and ill be able to get a 01 gt with 100k miles on it for about 2500-3000
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KianK
well its main focus will be a daily driver that performs well in both of those areas. Thanks for the info as well, im starting with the mods i said and as time goes by ill be adding piece by piece. im in college but work part time with no expenses besides gas and going out so ill be able to put about $800 a month into the build. secoundly have i chosen a good platform for this build? parts can be found easily and the prices arent too bad either. i also dont have to worry about labor, it will all be free.
With that much power, it's hard to make the car work well in both drag and autocross. They're two totally different set ups.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

this thread is pointless and going to go no where.... op buy an 03/04 cobra and pick ONE OR THE other either mainly autocross with some 1/4 or 1/4 with a little autocross other wise its going to be average at both
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM
KianK

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
this thread is pointless and going to go no where.... op buy an 03/04 cobra and pick ONE OR THE other either mainly autocross with some 1/4 or 1/4 with a little autocross other wise its going to be average at both
If I can't have both 1/4 mile is what I'll focus on. I would have to wait longer and pay more for a cobra so I rather build a gt due to the time it would take to save the difference in money
Old 10-25-2011, 03:47 PM
MustangFTW

a drivetrain that can handle that power is going to approach 15k very quickly, if not blow past it. a cobra costs 18-23k depending on mileage.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Wait longer? How about making a payment on the car? If you have $800 a month to throw at building a GT you can certainly make a payment on a Cobra of nearly half that. Also - considering how many 450-600 RWHP Cobras are for sale these days it seems to be a no brainer. Besides - it will help you build credit. You are going to have 15k-20k in mods and IMHO not the same level of car.

Quick Reply: 2001 Mustang Gt Build